cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static on the line - no dial tone

Oyster
Up to speed

We keep having to call VM every few months because there is very bad static on our line and we often cannot even get a dial tone. I think I have discovered the problem, though. 
The telephone wires are draped over the garden, under a hedge, and a few nights ago a fox was doing some weird stuff in our garden. It was barking like crazy, digging up shrubs in the garden and scraping the ground under the hedge where the wires are. It was also launching itself into the hedge. I think this may be the cause. Like I said, the phone wires arent protected. Can someone from VM 
take a look and maybe put the wires in some kind of protective tube? I just checked the reception, this very minute, on the phone line and though there is no static we now just get a steady continuous beep, no dial tone

23 REPLIES 23

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Oyster,

Welcome back, thanks for posting.

I am sorry to see that this has happened.

Have you got any photos of the damaged wires? If so can you share them on here for me to see?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

I dont see any damaged wires. I can maybe show you how the wires are arranged, how they dont have any protection. In my mind I think I see it like, maybe foxes are pulling on the wires and are perhaps pulling the connections loose but I have no evidence yet. Give me some time, I will try to get some photos's but it's getting dark now. The wires arent in a tube or any protective sleeve they just go into the hedge and then through the wall.
Bear with me while I get some photo's 

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Okay no problem @Oyster.

Please do let me know how it goes.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

I have photographed some cables to show you what I mean when I say they arent protected, but some time ago we had an engineer put in a cable specifically to the telephone and I dont think that is one of these cables. I think that cable runs through the hedge somewhere else and is different to either of these two that are joined side by side. Our broadband is working excellently, it's just the telephone thats a problem but I cant trace that wire to the telephone very easily as it goes into the hedge then it sort of disappears . It's a very thick hedge. the cables I show here I dont think they are  the problem but as you can see we have put lots of things to stop the foxes going over the wires . I just show you these wires so you can see how foxes might be a problem
tp3.JPG

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for sharing this with me @Oyster.

I will send you a private message now, then I can help you further.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

Thank you. 
I have now messaged you

OK so the engineer arrived on Tuesday and put in a powered connector on the wall and a phone adaptor in the socket on the back of the hub 3.
He said that it might take 24 hours to work and be activated. OK so now I have waited 51 hours. What is happening with this? I asked some questions in 
private messages last night but still no reply to those.

I have additional questions
I opened a question here in the VM security forums
and was told to ask the team dealing with this phone issue to look into the notes as to why the engineer took the first 3 digits of our security word that verifies our account and our mobile phone number

Hi there @Oyster

Thank you so much for your message and I am so sorry to hear that this is not yet resolved. 

I can see that you have sent my colleague a PM and they will be able to look into this again with you there. 

I can also see that another colleague has responded to your post now as well. 

Thanks again. 

just to be sure

the engineer took the first three letters of that code - the one where  the VM staff will ask
what is the first - third - and 7th letter, or whatever
he also asked for our mobile number

How can we change that security code. I looked online in our account but cannot find where to change it