Menu
Highlighted
Loosecanons
Superfast
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Spams from 01281

I've had three calls today from 01281 numbers.

From what I can see this area code doesn't exist and is used for spams and phishing calls.

Why can't Virgin block these numbers or provide us the option to block numbers we don't recognize?

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Spams from 01281

You are correct.  A quick search confirms that there isn't such an area code.  Many scammers use internet based calling systems that can generate random numbers that seem real but actually aren't; unfortunately Virgin can't block them all.  There have been other posters that have had the same problem where the scammers have been a bit more organised with their numbers using valid area codes.  However, a simple internet search would at least give these guys a more believable number.Smiley Indifferent

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Loosecanons
Superfast
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back.
I've had five of these today. One on the hour and the same last Friday. All different numbers.
If I was a vulnerable customer I would find this quite upsetting.

If ALL the landline providers could provide a means to block these numbers or area codes it would be great. You can do this on your mobile phone but handsets aren't so clever.
I am sure they have the means to provide this on-line; they just don't.
0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

My guess would be that electronic call blockers/phones wouldn't block the numbers as they aren't valid, particularly in this case.  It's the same with caller recognition systems.  I've had calls from 0000000 on the 1471 number recall along with several spoofed numbers that are also from "valid" area codes.   Spam calls and emails are, unfortunately part of modern life.

Panasonic do a pretty meaty phone, but it is expensive: https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/home-phones/home-office-phone/kx-tgf320e.html

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos
nick_london
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Buy a handset with BT call guardian this will request the callers name before disturbing you and if it’s a scam call they will most likely hang up before bothering you.

0 Kudos