Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sloppy text from VM

Declanworld
Fibre optic

Have a look at this exchange by text - I can only guess what they mean:

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-30 at 5.36.20 PM.jpeg

61 REPLIES 61

That's what we thought before we turned turned off the power to the hub and the emergency phone.  I then phoned my son whose phone proceeded to ring!

interesting,  in that case, i suspect it'll be linked and charged to your account. it's unlikely VM will allow calls for free as this could be a massive loophole. I myself was upgraded to the FW500 from the older Burnside fixed wireless ata. I was wondering how many on here had the newer Motorola phone ata as I'd not seen many posts about it.

TV, Phone and Broadband using the Hub 3.0 in modem mode, with a Newifi D2 running Openwrt (FTTP/RFoG).

It definitely needs clarification.

Thank you for letting me know @Declanworld.

The Emergency Backup Line only lets you call 999 and 112 numbers. You can’t call non-emergency numbers.

You can find all you need to know here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/fibre-phone-faqs

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Please read the rest of the post - I have already test-called from the phone and it does allow calls to all numbers.

Thank you for flagging this to me. I have passed this on to the relevant team to look into this, so we can confirm what exactly is going on with your EBUL.

As soon as I get an answer, I will be back in contact here with an update.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

Thank you again.

No problem @Declanworld

I will be back in contact once I hear back.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

Declanworld

I assume you have the white Motorola FW500 too, and are in a FTTP/RFoG area rather than the older powered coax. Area 31 here.

I have just tested ours and after about 10 seconds of being disconnected from the hub it goes into "mobile mode", and sure enough I am freely able to make chargeable calls. I of course only was on the line for a second just to confirm.

My questions are (to whoever at VM deals with this):

* Who is being charged for these calls? I really hope it's the customer, but I won't know until our next bill. It's not a bad thing for the customer but it is a bad thing for VM as it's big loophole otherwise. I assume the internal testing of these devices within VM had hoped no one bothered to try this, but here we are.

* I'm guessing from the lack of info on these forums there are very few people with these fixed wireless telephones, and most just have the older grey loop-through Burnside ATAs? We've actually had two Burnside ATAs. Check my forum post here . Those older ATAs weren't able to do this.

* Are we beta testers without actually knowing it? I've no problem with being a tester, but if you want it testing, tell me!

* Why do we have a "Your upcoming engineer appointment" box on our account that goes nowhere? I guess it's something to do with the EBUL. 

TV, Phone and Broadband using the Hub 3.0 in modem mode, with a Newifi D2 running Openwrt (FTTP/RFoG).

@mpmc wrote:

Declanworld

I assume you have the white Motorola FW500 too, and are in a  area

I do have the phone - I don't know what FTTP/RFoG is but I'm in area 26.