cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Customers Unable to Call Virgin Media VOIP

OverAndOut
On our wavelength

Fellow VM customers,

Since November friends and family with Sky mobiles (or landlines) have been unable to call my VM VOIP line. (The telephone is connected to our VM hub).

Making calls is no problem. It appears that numbers from other phone providers can get through, so it seems to affect only Sky numbers. When they call they hear an error message: "Sorry, that number does not exist." VM sent an engineer out and he confirmed all our internal equipment (hub, phone and line) is fine, so suggested it must be an external issue. Sure enough, he consulted his issue-checker, and noted that there was an outage in the area. 

I see from Sky forums that Sky customers are reporting problems between the two networks. I even spoke to a Sky technician who seemed knowledgeable and friendly, but Sky place the issue firmly in Virgin Media's corner. 

Virgin Media telephone support (stop laughing) acknowledge there's an outage in the area, but that's all they know and that's all they ever say. The field technicians have set 4 dates to fix it and failed 4 times. Each time they set themselves a new date and try again. They have a set a 5th resolution date of 3rd Jan. 

There may be an outage, but in over 2 months VM can't actually confirm if that outage is responsible for this specific issue. So, we may be waiting for VM to fix a problem, not the problem.

Faulty hardware and wiring can account for degradation of service across the board, but this isn't across the board, it's specific to Sky numbers, so it seems more of a config issue. 

So, if you're experiencing the issue, please comment. If you have insights that may help, please also feel free to comment.

(VM Mods, if all you can do is confirm there's an outage and repeat the next resolution date, please save your energy.)

Thanks all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Update: I called Sky for the 3rd time today (03.02.2023). Like Sky user Caro77 on the Sky forum here I asked the issue to be escalated. For some reason they asked us to provide examples of numbers that weren't able to get through to the VM landline. I found this baffling and stressed that we couldn't provide an exhaustive list explaining that anyone with a Sky number (landline or mobile) should be able to get through. They resolved the issue within 2 hrs. Friends confirmed they can now get through. Hurrah.

So, it turns out it's wasn't a problem on the Virgin Media end after all. The "outage" that Virgin Media keep referring to has absolutely nothing to do with it. Had we kept listening to Virgin Media, we'd have been waiting for indefinitely. 

Virgin Media take note. If customers raise issues, resist the habit of consulting the service status and automatically concluding it's connected to the outage. Try helping customers by doing some investigation first.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

21 REPLIES 21

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This is likely to be an issue either with VMs headend PSTN exchange or the interconnect with the local BT PSTN exchange.

It will be nothing to do with the hub based 21CV line. All this does is replace the old analogue copper pair between your house and the network segment fibre node cabinet, where the signal is converted to digital & sent to VMs headend, with a direct digital link from the hub to the fibre node. Everything else is the same.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @OverAndOut,

Welcome back to our Community Forums. Thank you for your post and I'm very sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your landline connection.

Can you confirm that you have a Virgin Media landline connection set up at your property? Have you taken a look at our Landline Faults page to see if this can help rectify your issue?

I can see that you're chatting to my colleague via Private Message at the moment. Our colleague will be able to look into this further for you and discuss this issue in further detail.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Paulina,

The Landline faults page is no help for this issue. Your colleague was no help either and we're not chatting. 

O&O

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @OverAndOut,

Thanks for coming back to us. Sorry to hear that the landline help page is not helpful. In order to investigate further, we'll need security on the account to be cleared. 

Please go back to my colleague so that they can help investigate further for you.

Thank you. 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Your colleague expects my 70+yr old mother, who's not au fait with computers, to click her fingers like Mary Poppins and suddenly understand the IT revolution and become a VM forum user. I'm prepared to retry if you are. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @OverAndOut,

Unfortunately, we wouldn't be able to share any information until details are confirmed.

As you're speaking to my colleague via Private Message, please go back to them for further assistance. 

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Every time we answer a tranche of security questions, she produces another set of security questions. We've already provided account number, name, area code. Then she wanted last bill amount, direct debit date and something else I've forgotten. Next she'll be asking for inside leg measurements and then fail us because we answered in imperial instead of metric.

Thank you @nodrogd for this insight. Would this explain why it's only Sky numbers that are not getting through?

After 4 resolutions attempts and nothing, it's clear that VM need help resolving the issue. How does one suggest these possibilities to those managing those areas of VM's network? VM Tech support simply run through a series of remote (automated) tests and refer to the outage in the area (even though the outage may not be the cause). Then they point to yet another resolution date. That's where the sorry exchange ends.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It could be an issue at the BT exchange end, where the calls are routed to Virgin. Sky subcontract to Openreach on the maintenance side, so it may be their issue.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks