cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a fibre phone

JamesB1
On our wavelength

Hi,

My BT incoming phone line goes to a junction box and then is connected in parallel to several phone sockets (of the type shown in illustration "1" on the card that came with the adaptor) around the house.

On the fateful day of switchover, I intend to disconnect and isolate the BT line from the junction box. and connect the hub (using the, rather short, supplied adaptor) to whichever of  the existing phone sockets that is most convenient.

I believe that this will work. Any comments?

Thanks, Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin is nothing to do with BT, so unless VM used an old BT socket then there will be no service to this anyway.

Yes, you can wire a connection from the hub to your existing master socket, which VM will do for free if you prefer not to do this yourself.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin is nothing to do with BT, so unless VM used an old BT socket then there will be no service to this anyway.

Yes, you can wire a connection from the hub to your existing master socket, which VM will do for free if you prefer not to do this yourself.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

JamesB1
On our wavelength

Nodrogd,

Thank you for your reply. I may be wrong, but I thought part of the cost of the Virgin landline phone was the rental of the BT line. I seem to remember that this was over £11/month. I may be wrong in this but I would imagine that,  if correct, Virgin will reduce our bill's by that amount 🤔🙄🤞🏻

As I said in my post, my "Master" socket, was connected (by Virgin) to the BT incomer. As I also said this socket is connected, in parallel to several others. Disconnecting the BT line, allows me to connect the router to whichever of the several sockets is convenient.

Although changing to fibre phone may be advantageous, not the least financially, to Virgin it does not seem advantageous to me and could be much more of a problem to those amongst us who do not possess a mobile phone.

Regards, Jim

@JamesB1 wrote:

Nodrogd,

Thank you for your reply. I may be wrong, but I thought part of the cost of the Virgin landline phone was the rental of the BT line. I seem to remember that this was over £11/month. I may be wrong in this but I would imagine that,  if correct, Virgin will reduce our bill's by that amount 🤔🙄🤞🏻

As I said in my post, my "Master" socket, was connected (by Virgin) to the BT incomer. As I also said this socket is connected, in parallel to several others. Disconnecting the BT line, allows me to connect the router to whichever of the several sockets is convenient.

Although changing to fibre phone may be advantageous, not the least financially, to Virgin it does not seem advantageous to me and could be much more of a problem to those amongst us who do not possess a mobile phone.

Regards, Jim

There never was any charge for the rental of the BT line, as VM does not and never have used the BT (really Openreach) lines into your house, they always have used their own and it is these that now need to be phased out. Many people do use the term 'BT line' to simply mean the twisted pair copper cables carrying the phone signal, irrespective of who is actually running them.

As mentioned above it is 'possible' that when the VM system was installed, that the installer used an existing BT socket on the wall to same time rather than installing their own one, as technically, they aren't allowed to touch anything belonging to another supplier. They would have had to disconnect the 'BT' cable coming into this box and replace it with the VM cable instead.

The standing charge, if you like, for the phone provision was always a means of paying for the underlaying infrastructure to keep the phone system running, not necessarily for the use of a physical line - so even if going forward VM won't be using a separate connection, no there won't be any reduction in the phone charges.

JamesB1
On our wavelength

Thank you for your informative reply.

Regards,  Jim.