cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam callers are doing the rounds again

mike29
Tuning in

Got one today claiming to be VM. Claiming a problem with hub connecting to network or it's dropping signal. They are using the EVENTVWR script (see all the warning error messages) to try explain the fault and claim hackers are the problem.

I've just been moved to fiberphone due to a copper line fault (better known as VM Bull....)

Just letting people know in case they get one and check the forum.

Oh, I'll just leave this quote here.

"The hub based lines will be replacing ALL current PSTN landlines by 2025, as the old telephone exchanges are now life expired & no longer fit for purpose. A symptom of this is the plethora of scam calls that are now being made on a daily basis, none of which can be stopped by PSTN technology."

5 REPLIES 5

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @mike29,

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to hear you experienced this scam call.

We can understand your concern and we want to best help.

Just to confirm, what were any details passed on this call? Did they get access to any devices? Also, you may find the following link useful https://www.virginmedia.com/help/fraudulent-calls.

Thanks, 

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

No details, No access.

I told them the scam was so old, and asked if they would rather try netstat.

They called me an idiot (twice) and hung up.

Hi @mike29, thanks for your reply once again.

That's the main thing that no personal details were provided, that's good news.

Unfortunately, these scam callers have been known to be quite rude when confronted!

As Akua has mentioned, please review the link she previously provided if you need further support on managing these types of calls.

Many thanks

Tom_W

They get really indignant too when you tell them to go and procreate away from here
I like to wind them up and keep them on the line as long as possible
until I get very bored of them

then I lose all my charm with them

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

It sounds like you are clued up on what to watch for and how to handle these calls Oyster XD

Let us know if we can assist in the future. 

Nat