cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam Phone Calls

apovey
Tuning in

I constantly receive scam calls from Virgin Media, stating that my broadband has been compromised.
I know they are scammers and I always ask them to reboot my router to make sure they are from Virgin. they either put the phone down or become extremely abusive.
my question is, there seems to be nothing I can do about these calls other than change my number or cancel my account. I would have thought that Virgin would be interested in scammers posing as Virgin Engineers. what are my options?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@apovey wrote:

I constantly receive scam calls from Virgin Media, stating that my broadband has been compromised.
I know they are scammers and I always ask them to reboot my router to make sure they are from Virgin. they either put the phone down or become extremely abusive.
my question is, there seems to be nothing I can do about these calls other than change my number or cancel my account. I would have thought that Virgin would be interested in scammers posing as Virgin Engineers. what are my options?

Unfortunately, on a VM landline, you have to buy your own equipment to screen out the scam calls.

I use this

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/116.htm

which has been 100% effective for me at stopping the scam calls to my VM landline.

BT do a range of phones with the trueCall technology built in, at a lesser price, which many find effective but the phones do not have the full customisation features of the standalone trueCall unit.

Search for 'trueCall' on this forum for past topics about how it all works etc. Post back if you have further questions.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Apovey, thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear you've been receiving phone calls from scammers/fraudsters pretending to be VM. We do appreciate these calls are a concern, there is information on the website around the steps you can take to report them & hopefully prevent more calls in future: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/fraudulent-calls - hope this helps.

Tom  

Hi Tom

Thanks for the reply. I know that I can report these calls to the police, but I know that these calls are untraceable as the scammers rotate the number all the time.

I wanted to know if VM did anything about them in the same way they would investigate any other security breach.

Andy

Hi Tom

I have reported these fraudulent Phishing calls to Action fraud and it turns out that they are not classed as a crime or fraud.

So, i gather nothing is being done about these sorts of scams? and the only option i have is to close my account?

Andy

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi apovey, 

Thank you for your reply.

Like other companies being impersonated on these calls, I am afraid we are very limited on what we can do from our side. 

Unfortunately, although numbers can be reported, these can be changed or spoofed which makes it very difficult to take action against.

We are sorry that we have been unable to assist further. 

Nat

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@apovey wrote:

Hi Tom

I have reported these fraudulent Phishing calls to Action fraud and it turns out that they are not classed as a crime or fraud.

So, i gather nothing is being done about these sorts of scams? and the only option i have is to close my account?

Andy

The only option you have is to not use a landline, & even then mobile numbers are not immune to these calls. Nothing can be done technically to filter these calls. ALL landline users suffer from them. Our phone system is ANALOGUE, & works on technology that is 150 years old. Adding internet security to this is a little like trying to watch snooker on a monochrome tv. You can’t tell where the blue ball is if you can’t see in colour. All telephone lines will go digital in 2025 (both landline & mobile) & will all be internet based. With this will come end-to-end encryption & all these calls will stop more or less overnight.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@apovey wrote:

Unfortunately, on a VM landline, you have to buy your own equipment to screen out the scam calls.

I use this

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/116.htm

which has been 100% effective for me at stopping the scam calls to my VM landline.

BT do a range of phones with the trueCall technology built in, at a lesser price, which many find effective but the phones do not have the full customisation features of the standalone trueCall unit.

Search for 'trueCall' on this forum for past topics about how it all works etc. Post back if you have further questions.