Menu
Scam_Calls
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Scam Calls Almost Daily

Hello,

I have reported receving multiple scam calls claiming to be from Eir Broadband telling me my broadband will be turned off if I don't talk to one of their tech support. Each begin as an automated message and if I press one, I get someone claiming to be tech support, who disconnects, if I object to the call.

This is happening almost daily. I'll list the latest info below:

1, Incoming call from 003538745896

2. Date/Time: March 4, 2019 @ 9.42 A.M\\.

3. Automated message claiming my Eir Broadband will be disconnected if I don't contact tech support within 24 hours.

Yes, I am the account holder. I will give account info in a private message to any customer service representative.

When will Virgin Media finish their investigation of these fraudsters and begin to block these nuisance calls to your customers' landlines?

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam Calls Almost Daily

Just a few points..

Due to international agreements, Virgin Media cannot blanket ban calls coming in from abroad. There are however several options available to you as a user including a call blocking device, or asking VM to block several categories of numbers

If they DID decide to unilaterally block calls, how would they know which numbers to block? The usual suspect sites often give wrong information, both false positives, and the opposite- legitimate numbers listed as scam callers. Caller ID is easily spoofed.

Besides that, you are totally the wrong boards if you are in the South of Ireland, these are the UK boards

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Scam_Calls
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I refuse to pay €3/per month/per telephone number to have these scam numbers blocked, when this scam is known by Virgin and is something that is happening to many of their customers. It is up to my communications provider to provide a service that works for me. This one isn't. I am one step away from removing my landline over this. It is not that difficult to collect all numbers being report (in my case it's the same number, but today it changed to a different one) and offer free blocking of those numbers to their customers.

I want to know when these numbers will be blocked. I don't necessarily care what region I'm writing this post in. I am tired of being fobbed off.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Scam_Calls wrote:

I want to know when these numbers will be blocked. I don't necessarily care what region I'm writing this post in. I am tired of being fobbed off.

Try Virgin Media's Haitian boards then they may be able to help...just run your stuff through google translate first, so they understand.

OP pa gen okenn siy

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
StevieP762
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It isn't solely a Virgin issue, but a wider issue. I had the above start with BT a few weeks before I recently moved to VM. I recognised it was a scam straight away and didn't even let the message proceed to give me the option numbers before hanging up. Fortunately to go with the new VM service I have just bought a set of 3 Panasonic cordless phones which have a 'Call Block' button and can store and block 1000 numbers … free of any fees. So when 'Shirley' ran a couple of days ago on my new VM service to inform me my internet was going to be cut off that day I permanently cut her off …. well at least for the first 1000 numbers the scam originates from.
Scam_Calls
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. This is a landline in my mother's home. She has the beginning symptoms of dementia and although she can be left alone for a time, she's vulnerable to scams like this. I've taken to disconnecting the line while I'm gone to the store, but this is highly disruptive during an already stressful time. Took your advice and looked to see if her phone had a call barring feature. It does. Problem solved for the time being. If it happens again, I will change services, as although it's happening to others, a new number is less likely to have this issue. I know this one does. Thank you again for that suggestion.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scam_Calls,

Sorry to hear you've been receiving unwanted calls. I'm afraid kippies is correct in that these boards are for UK enquiries so we'd be unable to advise regarding any services in ROI.

I'm confident that the advice given above still applies, although I'd hate to confirm anything specific. Please contact our friends over at Virgin Media IE for assistance with this issue.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
Scam_Calls
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Kippies's response, especially the one suggesting Haitian CR was most unhelpful, as nowhere in any of my responses did I mention I was in ROI. I'm not. All the now 5 collected numbers I have originate from multiple different countries. I'm guessing you can figure out how they are doing it, as it was fairly obvious to me.

Kippies's second response could put less savvy users looking for a *real* helpful answers in jeopardy. As i work in fraud management, I would strongly suggest you remove the second response, remind Kippies he/she needs to stop assuming things and/or giving out information that may put not only this forum but Virgin in danger of litigation.

As there is very little hope of getting further help here, my next stop is Ofcom UK or a new service, if it happens again. I would suggest anyone seeing this thread cut out the middle man and do the same.
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Scam_Calls wrote:
Kippies's response, especially the one suggesting Haitian CR was most unhelpful, as nowhere in any of my responses did I mention I was in ROI. I'm not. All the now 5 collected numbers I have originate from multiple different countries. I'm guessing you can figure out how they are doing it, as it was fairly obvious to me.

Kippies's second response could put less savvy users looking for a *real* helpful answers in jeopardy. As i work in fraud management, I would strongly suggest you remove the second response, remind Kippies he/she needs to stop assuming things and/or giving out information that may put not only this forum but Virgin in danger of litigation.

As there is very little hope of getting further help here, my next stop is Ofcom UK or a new service, if it happens again. I would suggest anyone seeing this thread cut out the middle man and do the same.

What are you on? In what world do you think ANYONE would actually visit the VM Haitian boards, especially as they dont exist. I mean I made sure before I posted because, you know some of us aren't the brightest crayon in the box...*ahem*

FYI, Ofcom dont deal with individual queries, you need the peeps that deal with arbitration (CISAS), although I would counsel against contacting their Haitian office. I REALLY feel at this point I NEED to tell you that.

With respect, try getting SOMETHING right. If you actually work in fraud management, no wonder online fraud is rife.

As for litigation ? how? please explain?

[Removed]

How would VM investigate/follow up on on calls from outside the UK's legal jurisdiction and subject to GSM contracts?

Again,  try getting SOMETHING right.

From your user name to your tone of posting, its clear you are trying to gain some traction where there is none to be gained. You really had to come here to be told to use a call blocking feature??? THAT WAS ALREADY ON THE PHONE???

sheesh...

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi all, 

This thread has been locked as there is nothing further we can help with, and the conversation is getting off topic.

Thanks

Mod Team

0 Kudos