cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS advice of fault clearance

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any way of making a suggestion to VirginMedia for a small change which would be of great use to many disabled and elderly Eldercare (and similar) users?

I had yet another failure of my telephone line on Monday this week. The first I was aware of this is when my Eldercare system announced the phone line was down. I checked with VirginMedia when it would be restored and was advised the fault was due for completion by 23:00 that day.

The Eldercare system loudly announces the line is down at approximately one minute intervals and so I have to effectively turn the system off until I know the fault is repaired, otherwise it would drive me mad. During this time I am at extreme risk if I fall, as I will not be able to easily summon assistance, particularly if I was unconscious and no one would be alerted to the fact.

As it happens, my carer was able to stay late to ensure I was safe. They checked the phone line at approximately 18:00 and found the service had been restored and therefore re-enabled the Eldercare system.

The problem is that not knowing when the line is restored unnecessarily prolongs the time I (and I suspect many other disabled and elderly people) are at greater risk in the event of an emergency. It can be difficult for the disabled and elderly to constantly have to check the telephone line for restoration.

This could easily be resolved if an SMS message was sent out immediately upon resolution of the fault (this could be an opt-in service). Electricity companies do this with power failures and so I would have thought VirginMedia could also, particularly being a communications company.

Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong area. Please advise me if this is the case.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Where a fault is on the Service Status list, it is possible to subscribe to text updates for the issue - this includes sending a text when the fault is resolved.

You can access Services Status here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/service-status or through the My Virgin Media app.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Where a fault is on the Service Status list, it is possible to subscribe to text updates for the issue - this includes sending a text when the fault is resolved.

You can access Services Status here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/service-status or through the My Virgin Media app.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Anonymous
Not applicable

Brilliant. Thank you very much BenMcr.

This was not something I was aware of but will certainly use it in future.

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Anonymous thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Sorry for any inconvenience your loss of telephone may have caused you.  I hope things improve for you moving forward.  I hope the advice from our fantastic BenMcr has also helped reassure you.

Regards

Lee_R

Anonymous
Not applicable

So, my Virgin Media phone line is down yet again (second time in two weeks!), my Eldercare systme is down again and I am in increased danger again!

I reported the line down early this morning (it was off from yesterday evening but no way to report the problem online). I am told the expected fix will be at 16:00 today.

I thought I'd register for an SMS notification, as faults are sometimes fixed earlier and went to the online service checker.... amazingly it indicates there in no telephone fault in my are, but a TV fault. I thought I'd register for and SMS alert for the TV fault, as it is possibly connected and find there is also a fault with this vital service. It also would not let me register for an email alerts... not good at all 😖

Screenshot_20220121-110409_Firefox.jpgScreenshot_20220121-110128_Firefox.jpg

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @Anonymous, 

Really sorry for the inconvenience that this has caused, we are aware of an issues with SMS updates that we are working hard to resolve. 

Is your landline up and running again? 

It might also be worth considering our EBUL system (emergency back up line) if the landline is down & (god forbid) the worse were to happen you would be able to use the ebul to contact the emergency services. If you would like me to arrange this for you then please do let me know. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your advice Zac_M.

Is there a charge for this service please?

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to me @Anonymous, 

No the EBUL service is completely free. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just looked at the details thanks. Sadly it only allows 999 calls. I would need it to be able to automatically make calls from my eldercare system to their call centre. The problem is that if I have fallen and were unconscious, there is no one to make the 999 call and I would be unable to. I cannot even get off the floor myself. The Eldercare system detects my fall and calls their call centre automatically. If they cannot get me via the loudspeaker, they then contact my emergency contacts or 999.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to me. 

I Understand, I just wanted to let you know there were further options that we currently have available, I will most defiantly pass on your feedback. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M