Menu
richardhull
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Receiving SMS messages on landline

I am having a problem that has been reported before on these boards but not resolved, as far as I can see. I have an SMS-capable phone (Gigabits 620) and live in an SMS-enabled area (07). I am able to send texts via the BT service centre (1470P17094009*) but SMS messages sent to my landline arrive via the Text-To-Speech service. I want to receive them as texts.

The Gigabits manual says that I should contact my service provider (i.e. VM) to discover your service centre number. Can anyone from VM support tell me what it is, please, or what else I can do?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Receiving SMS messages on landline

Hello richadhull, 

Cheers for your post - sorry that you're having some issues with the text feature on your landline handset. 

To start with, have you registered for the Virgin Media Text and do you subscribe to the Caller Display call feature?  If not, then you will only get voice texts. 

To check, Text a friend and you’ll be registered automatically, or text “register” to 00000.

If you receive your confirmation as a Voice Text, then check you’ve got the Caller Display feature. Also, check that your Service Centre settings are correct - these should be in the user guide that came with your handset. 

You may have also enabled the voice text only - this can be deactivated by typing ✱1# and sending to 00000

Let us know how you get on and we can go from there. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
richardhull
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Katie,

I do subscribe to Caller Display and I have registered and successfully sent texts. I haven’t tried disabling voice texts in case that stops me receiving text messages completely.

The user guide with my phone says to contact Virgin Media for the correct service centre, hence my original request.

Richard

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi richardhull, 

Thanks for the reply; I have done a bit of research and my initial response was correct I'm afraid; the Service Centre numbers vary for different models of phones and the one for your handset would come with your user guide or manual - we do not have a list of these I'm afraid. 

I would suggest you try and disable the voice texts by doing the *1# and sending it to 00000 - you can always reactivate again by typing #1# and sending to 00000 - give that a go and let us know how you get on. 

Thanks 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
richardhull
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again, Katie. Disabling voice texts by sending *1# to 00000 worked! I can receive SMS as text messages now

Thanks for your help

Richard

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi there richardhull, 

Oh excellent to hear! Glad that it worked! 

Have a great night - you know where we are if you need us!

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

0 Kudos
comnut
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

well my land line phone does have caller display, it needs it to stop hundreds of spam calls.. the SMS part will NOT allow  * or # though!!

0 Kudos
comnut
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

katie I am ashamed at you for not reading your own guide!!!  😞

to avoid the poor people spend ing ages trying do download etc, the simple answer is

send the text "register"  by sms on the landline, to the number 00000

0 Kudos