cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Do landline phones now really have to connect to the router?

12colmore
Tuning in

Ive only just found out about this changeover because I saw an article on the BBC website about issues after all the electric cabling was blown down in recent storms. Many people lost all forms of communication for nearly a week or more because everthing went through the router, equally couldnt charge mobile phones without power, i didnt even know the whole system was changing in 2025 to this system?!?!

I now know the reason why when we had power cuts in the past and the phone still worked, because the power was fed at the exchange and they also had generators to keep it going.

My virgin landline obviously comes in as a seperate cable but fixed to the coaxial cable for the router. This seperate telephone cable splits and goes to a junction box in the garage and then splits to various telephone sockets around the house. My router is actually in the garage next to where the Virgin cabling comes through the floor so can someone from virgin come and cut the cabling and fix a male fitting to go in the router telephone plug so all the other sockets still work?  

1 REPLY 1

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good evening 12colmore,

Welcome back to the forums & thank you once again for your post.

You are correct all landlines will be connected via the hub in 2025. We are offering our vulnerable customers an option of an EBUL which is a backup device that they can use to contact the emergency services if necessary. 

An engineer can come and connect new ports for you that wouldn't be a problem. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M