cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process of porting landline FROM Virgin? How to contact the "porting department?"

fxt_internet
Tuning in

I'm moving to a new house which isn't supported by virgin so I'm having to change providers. I've been trying to find out how to take my landline number to a new provider and was told by the ISPs that I've spoken to that I need to ask Virgin to release the number.. but when I've phoned virgin customer service I've been transferred from department to department and no one seems able to help.. each customer service agent tells me that I need to speak to the 'Porting Department' but then they transfer me to billing or accounts or moving, etc.. it's incredibly frustrating as each person that I get transferred to makes me repeat the tedious security verification process again before telling me they can't help and that i've been transferred to the wrong department.. so my question is - is there a direct line or extension for reaching your mysterious "porting department"? What do I do? Please help?

Both telephone lines at new and old properties are within the 020 area. I haven't cancelled the virgin contract yet as still renting at old address whilst moving in. I understand that the line needs to remain active for a porting or release request to be placed. Can someone explain the process from Virgin's perspective?

Thanks.

22 REPLIES 22

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ModTeam Please can you ask one of the forum team to revisit this thread and check on the status of @fxt_internet's phone line and explain why Talk Talk's port request has been denied by VM.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks. I've now given up on talk talk as their tech support was awful and couldn't even speak to anyone (they needed a landline number to put me through to tech support.. and for obvious reasons I didn't have one so just got stuck talking to bots on an app..).. so I've cancelled that account and gone with plusnet instead, who at least seem to have reachable tech support centres. My updated ofcom complaint reference regarding the release of the number is 00817534.

Absolute nightmare thus far. 

I'm self employed and have my landline printed on marketing materials so if I can't take the number with me I'm going to lose a lot of work, hence the urgency.

Good Afternoon fxt_internet

Thanks for your post, I'll be happy to pick this up for you for further investigation.

Please check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner of the screen for a PM from me

Kindest regards,

David_Bn 

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@fxt_internet Hopefully David can help sort this out for you.

I'm not surprised that you had issues with TalkTalk they were bad even before the 2015 data breach of customer data and have featured regularly on Watchdog over the years, they are cheap for a reason.  Some folks on this forum are critical of Plusnet, but my mum has been with them for a few years now and had no issues.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks. Yes - David is investigating with their telecoms department. It seems to be a very complicated process. And I’m not holding out much hope at this point.. plusnet seem to thing it’s impossible unless the cables are located within exactly the same exchange.. which isn’t what ofcom says, but never mind. 

My options were limited to bt, Sky, talk talk and plusnet and a few newer isps like John Lewis & Now, and plusnet had the slightly better reviews.. the sales person at talk talk literally lied and pretended to check the possibility of number porting to get me to take out a contract and then were horrendous to deal with when it emerged a few hours later that they wouldn’t be able to do what they had promised. I’m so glad I discovered this before being stuck in an 18 month contract. I’m sad to leave my fast cable broadband with virgin, but I won’t miss  dealing with the stress of their phone support labyrinth..

Update, incase anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation: VM denied the porting request due to the new ISP requesting port to a different address (this is to prevent numbers being stolen)... I’m not sure if there’s a way around this - I supplied old & new addresses to talktalk during my short lived account with them..

Plusnet (second new ISP) have said porting isn’t possible because the wires have to be physically located in the same exchange.. this feels pretty archaic to me, and there seem to be reports to the contrary on the internet, but i’m too tired to waste more energy arguing a technical subject I don’t know know enough about.

So, in one last ditch attempt to save my business contacts I’m going to try and port the VM number to a VoIP service.. have been recommended sipgate. If anyone has any advice or feedback on doing this please let me know.

Thanks for the help on this forum - I wish I’d known this resource existed before having to leave VM.

PS: Never agree to any kind of contract change with VM if you’re contemplating moving within the year. I’ve been a customer for 13 years and yet I’m being charged £240 in exit fees as a punishment because they cannot supply services at my new (also central London) address. The irony is that if I’d never phoned up to complain about downtime and overcharging and remained on my rip-off rolling contract I would saved a substantial amount. Even though I contacted them 17 days after agreeing to the change when I found out they didn’t serve the house I had found.. there is apparently zero compassion or consideration within the VM billing department. Really nasty way to treat loyal customers by increasing the expense and stress of moving because they cannot deliver services. I’d understand if I was a new customer and they’d been guaranteed a set amount over a set period, but they’d had me on a rolling contract for years.. and this only changed because I asked them to remove an add-on that had been missold to me and I didn’t need or know how to access. I phoned up to ask them to rectify an error & stop overcharging me.. I was not asking for a new 12 month contract. Apparently no one at VM cares.. so hopefully another customer might benefit from my experience here.

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

OK, now I get it the number porting is geared up for people changing providers and not losing their original number rather than for people moving house.  With many providers moving to VOIP for phone services (all new VM customers for example) it may become easier to port numbers between addresses in the future.

As for the contract and early disconnection fee issues, I'd suggest a formal complaint about being misled or mis sold and see if that gets you any money back.  Their processes are not designed to be flexible or caring, I doubt if any ISP is caring as they are all businesses not charities.  However they all have to have a complaints process and if you're not happy with the result you have the right to refer your complaint for independent consideration through Alternative Dispute Resolution.

Complaints process documented here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/images/shop/downloads/J3085_Code_of_Pract...

Brickwall2020
Dialled in

Sounds like a familiar problem with Virgin Mafia (and, in this case, all pre-Covid, so that excuse won’t wash).  Once they have got you, this mob won’t let you go.

Hello

One thing to point out if your move to a different area with a different STD code then you cannot port a number, as an example porting  from an 0191 area to 01245 which is a different STD code then that isnt possible due to different exchanges.

Porting can only happen within the same STD area, for london that would be the first 4 digits.

Regards Mike

So how did you get on? I've had a sipgate account for a few years, and am now looking to move/port my landline number from VM to them

Sipgate provide the forms to fill in, scan and send back, which I'm about to do.

As I'm just changing service provider and not moving I'm hoping for a better experience then you got.