cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with my parent's landline (Needs engineer)

SpacePhoenix
Fibre optic

How do I book an engineer to look at my parent's landline? It's very scratchy and can be hard to hear people on it.

They have it connected to the main phone socket via an extension lead as the phone's cord is too short.

AFAIK their TV and broadband are working fine so I'm guessing that the problem is likely between the brown box outside and the master phone socket

5 REPLIES 5

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @SpacePhoenix 👋

Welcome back to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am sorry to hear your parents are having some problems with their landline. 

We have some troubleshooting here that may help

I'll also pop you a PM to confirm your parents details and can take a closer look my end.

Speak to you soon 😊

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

jem101
Superstar

@SpacePhoenix wrote:

How do I book an engineer to look at my parent's landline? It's very scratchy and can be hard to hear people on it.

They have it connected to the main phone socket via an extension lead as the phone's cord is too short.

AFAIK their TV and broadband are working fine so I'm guessing that the problem is likely between the brown box outside and the master phone socket

This needs a bit of a 'divide and conquer' approach, now although it is likely to be a problem at VM's end, it is just possible that the fault is with the handset itself or the extension cable. Both of these need to be eliminated first, so can your parents beg, borrow or steal* another phone hence to try? Can it be plugged directly in to the wall socket to eliminate the extension cable.

* no don't actually go shop lifting and literally steal a new handset from Curry's - it's a figure of speech, yes? 

They've just got a new phone and the the extension lead is also new

SpacePhoenix
Fibre optic

They managed to get in contact with the Virgin's landline team who sent out a "VoIP adapter" to connect the phone to the router. Adapter arrived and is in place. Their phone is now back up and running

Hi SpacePhoenix 👋 thank you for returning to keep this public thread updated!

Glad to hear the adapter has resolved the issue. Please let us know if there are further problems and we will happily pick this back up with you to continue to offer help. 

Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly