cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem connecting to landline numbers

sallyrob68
Joining in

Using my landline, mobile and son’s mobile, even away from home, we cannot connect to most landline numbers. Mobile numbers appear ok and also the odd landline number but the majority just has a dead line our end but seemingly the other person hears the call ring but when tries to answer it doesn’t connect.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @sallyrob68 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community

Sorry to hear of the issue with the calls. 

The landline - just to confirm, is this connected to the telephone port on the router? 

The mobiles - have you tried new SIM's, or the SIM's in other phones just to rule the SIM/phone out as being the issue?

Keep me posted as I want to help fix this for you. Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

28 REPLIES 28

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @sallyrob68 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community

Sorry to hear of the issue with the calls. 

The landline - just to confirm, is this connected to the telephone port on the router? 

The mobiles - have you tried new SIM's, or the SIM's in other phones just to rule the SIM/phone out as being the issue?

Keep me posted as I want to help fix this for you. Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

sallyrob68
Joining in

Landline is connected to the router yes and I can’t understand why both Virgin mobiles would have a problem with their sims so think that can be ruled out. 

Hi sallyrob68, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

So just to confirm you re having the issue on 2 Virgin Mobile SIM cards and also on your landline too? 

As the landline and Mobiles work off different networks, this is certainly a strange one. 

You've mentioned it does allow some landline calls through, is this your landline or the mobiles?

On your Mobile devices, are you using WiFi calling or using the general mobile data network? 

Pop back and keep us posted. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

GROBTIV
On our wavelength

Got EXACTLY the same problem incoming calls are OK outgoing  to BT landlines N/A

GROBTIV
On our wavelength

Should add my new router based telephone system has worked fine for a couple months this is a new phenomenon. I suspect the BT landline exchange is not generating ringtones on the call recipients landline  for some reason.

Hi GROBTIV, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're having an issue with calling BT Landlines. 

Can you confirm if this is via your Virgin Media Landline or whether it's through your Virgin Mobile SIM? 

Pop back and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

GROBTIV
On our wavelength
problem is through VM "landline-by router" no mobile sims involved

GROBTIV
On our wavelength

I suspect the problem lies where the new VIRGIN router based  telephony system interfaces with the old BT landline exchanges for some reason?

Hi GROBTIV,

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly. 

When trying to dial a landline number, do you hear any tone or error message when the call fails to connect? 

Running checks on your landline service and Hub from this end is not bringing up any issues so I'm unable to see why this is happening. 

Are you having the same issue for all landline numbers or only those through BT? 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team