cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting my BT number to virgin.

Nick-Whit
Tuning in

Hello

Please can you help me transfer my BT phone number to Virgin Media. I have today received and installed the new broadband router (as well as the 360 box), now I just need you to port my existing (and still connected) BT phone number.

I take it that I cant use the old Virgin media phone box on the wall anymore that the previous owners    had a few years ago? And that I have to go down the connecting phone to router way forward  

Regards

Nick 

15 REPLIES 15

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Jonners999,

I am sorry that your landline is still not working, and that your Port over is not complete.

I did respond to your private message, while I was still waiting for an update.

I will send you another private message now, as we will need to do data protection again.

Please look out for a purple envelope, at the top right corner.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

@Jonners999 

What I’m not too sure about is, do you have a phone plugged into the hub currently, if so can it make outgoing calls at all, albeit from a different number?

From your other thread, I can see that you are porting a number from BT to Virgin, you mention that the ‘old line’ worked for two days or so until BT cut it off - is that correct?

Now very importantly, did you contact BT and cancel your phone line contract?

The reason I ask is that if there is any sort of pending cancellation or cease against a line, then this will absolutely prevent the port from happening, what should happen in this sort of case is that, firstly you must not cancel anything with the existing provider, VM install and give you a temporary number, then they send the porting request across (should take about 10-14 days). BT release the number to them, which automatically cancels the line (can’t have a line without a number) and also cancels any broadband for the same reason.

What I fear may have happened here, is that VM requested the port, BT said no can do because of the pending cancellation order against the line, VM have just shrugged and gone ‘ok fair enough’ and moved on.

Even worse, if you don’t have a working land line at all now, they may have done half a job, cancelled your temporary number and then run into a snag and abandoned it!

Either way, I’m sorry to say that after this time, I think the chances of you getting the number back are slim to none.

Just to say thanks to the forum guys.  Phone number transferred and up and working on virgin as planned. 😊👍

Glad to hear all sorted @Nick-Whit 🙂

Is there anything further we can assist with today?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

No thanks John. Everything working perfectly.  😊🍺

Great 🙂

well do pop back should you ever need further assistance, do pop back and we'll be delighted to help 🙂

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill