cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting landline from BT

stevieH1
On our wavelength

Please can a mod help me with the below request as after 3 hours and 4 calls to some place far away i have got nowhere.

I ordered Virgin Phone, BB and TV on 22nd December and it is being installed this Friday, 13th.

I requested, during the initial application, that my Landline be ported from BT.

Unfortunately i have heard nothing since and my BT contract ceases on 27th Jan. I tried calling BT who said they had no record of a port in their system and suggested i contacted Virgin after installation? I assume it is too late then and i will have a different number? I tried 3 further calls to Virgin overseas, the last person seemed to want to fill a form in which took nearly an hour but i then got cut off. Not sure what she filled in but i have no confidence that the port is going to happen or when?

Please can a mod PM me so i can get this sorted. It is important that i keep this number as it is linked to several important things.

Thanks.

38 REPLIES 38

stevieH1
On our wavelength

Just thought i would update on my Virgin issues.

Had to cancel the original install as refused to drill through cladding. OK fair enough, although Virgin were at my premises 3 times prior to the install pulling cables and fitting the box outside. Would have been nice if somebody piped up at the time. I also can't see anything online or in correspondence that might have advised me that this could be an issue.

Decided to take out a broadband and phone package only (M500), as openreach FTTP not available in my area, and keep the TV with Sky. Was issued with a new Virgin contract, same number but ending 02.

Once again asked for my number to be ported. I also phoned and double checked a few days later that this was being done. Surprised (well, not really!) to find this wasn't happening so a nice lady filled in all the details and advised there was plenty of time to sort this before my install 2 weeks later.

Roll forward to my install (yesterday) and the guy knew nothing about a number port and issued me with a new number! He installed the BB and all went well, apart from destroying the brickwork when the drill broke through on the outside. He did a fair job repairing it with the cement they carry. Looks a bit crap but no big deal really.

Called BT today who advised me no number port had been requested by Virgin............LOL. So, back on the phone to a nice lady at Virgin called Elena who confirmed that no number port had been requested, said she didn't know why and would escalate it. The BT line is still open (I am still using it) and awaiting somebody at Virgin to actually do something to get the number ported. This should have happened weeks ago and is likely to be at least 10 more days. I have so far paid BT about £70 that i didn't need to and i have no idea when the extra payments might need to stop. As a side note when i spoke to BT they advised that porting numbers to Virgin wasn't always possible due to the different cabling. That was news to me?

I also can't open an online account as my only email address is registered to the original account ending 01 which i had to cancel before it even started. Again numerous calls, posts, PM's have failed to resolve this and once again it has been escalated to that magic place that Virgin file all problems that they can't/won't sort out. I won't bore you with all the details as i am sure i whinged about this on another thread but as it stands my account is all online and i have no idea what is happening as i can't view it.

I also thought it would be a nice bonus to sign up via a cashback site as they were offering £115 to new customers. The cashback never tracked, i assume the cancelled contract was the reason, the one that never started, so technically i had a contract before so no cashback. Seems a bit unfair as i have never had Virgin services and it was their own installer who forced me to cancel and re-book BB and Phone only.

I have tagged in the forum staff who have tried to help in the past just in case they can offer any insight into the escalations that are currently taking place.

I need my existing BT number or I am going to have to cancel everything inside my 14 day cooling off period as i need the old number and have no confidence that the port will happen and i am not continuing to pay more than double because Virgin can't seem to sort anything. This will be a shame as the M500 BB is really good and i am getting full speed.

That's the whinging over for today. I am sure the vast majority of Virgin customers have fast BB and good service. I also suspect that the same people have never had an issue as I have never known a company so bad at trying to sort things that don't go to plan!

Hi stevieH1,

Thank you for keeping us update with what has happened up to now. 

We are very sorry to hear about this. I am more than happy to take a look into the account to see if there is anything we can do to help. 

I will private message you now to confirm your details. 

^Martin

stevieH1
On our wavelength

Hi Martin, I have also sent you a pm regarding the below.

As another week has gone by i just wondered how long it might take your IT department to remove my email from the original cancelled account ending 01 so i can register the new account ending 02. I can still log in to the old account even though it never started and states i have now left Virgin. The payments will begin shortly but without account access i have no idea what is happening and i am completely unable to manage my account.

On a separate point BT have advised the line will be taken over by Virgin on the 24th Feb and not the 18th as you have stated. This means i have to pay them for yet another week on top of the extra i have already paid them. I am assuming the number port will also happen on this day although tbh i have lost all confidence.

The Virgin services are offered at very competitive prices but when you factor in the time, hassle and extra money spent to get on board you start to wonder if it is worth it. It might be, only time (and more money) will tell.

Hey stevieH1, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear you are still having this issues.

Don't worry my colleague will reply to you when he next on shift to get this resolved for you. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Still no news regarding my email address being transferred to the new account, 4 weeks and counting. I have no idea when payments start.

The landline number is supposed to port from BT tomorrow, i won't hold my breath!

My extra costs are adding up. I expect Virgin will compensate me for the time and money these issues have cost me........

Hi stevieH1,

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I will private message you now to continue from where we left off. 

^Martin

stevieH1
On our wavelength

Still nothing doing. Have tried registering with a new email, deleting cache etc. Everything just takes me back to the old account which never started.

If anybody has any ideas please can you let me know as the Virgin IT department seem to be all out of ideas!

I thought this was just a matter of transferring my email to the new account? Obviously not. At least i still have 2 days left of my 14 day cooling off period.

I have been impressed with the Virgin prices and broadband. Unfortunately when something goes wrong you realise why the prices are so good. I suppose you can't have everything as CS obviously costs money. It ends up being your own money in lost time and extra payments to your old provider while Virgin plod along struggling with any issue.

stevieH1
On our wavelength

The account finally works and my number port was also successful so thanks for sorting the account. I would recommend that anybody porting their existing number to Virgin chases both their existing supplier and Virgin several times to make sure it is correct in both of their systems. 

I can't get the Connected App to connect to my hub4 but i see that this seems to be an issue for many so i will leave that for now. Apparently the app 'can't connect to this type of modem'. If the Virgin app can't connect to the Virgin modem it does make you wonder exactly what it can connect to?

Hi @stevieH1,

Thank you for the update on this. I'm really glad to hear that your port has now been completed successfully.

Regarding the Connect App issues, would you mind removing the app and then re-installing the latest version? It should definitely be able to connect to the Hub 4 as detailed here.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

stevieH1
On our wavelength

Regarding the Connected App I have tried all of the 'fixes' i could find on here and online. It just doesn't want to know. Just continually get the 'Unsupported Modem' message.