cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting a landline number

dgblue2
Joining in

On 21st March, I contacted Virgin to request a BT number be ported informing them the BT line would be deactivated 02/04/22; on 22/03/22 I received a text requesting I reply with CHAT as more information is required and I provided the additional information.  I received the same text on 23/03/22 and again responded and provided the requested information and then contacted Customer Service by phone.  After speaking to Customer Service, I receive the same text message and again on 24/03/22, and have the same repetitive conversation providing all the information they request including postcode and number.

I called BT on 30/03/22 and 31/03/22 to see if the problem lies with them, however, they assured me the problem is with Virgin.

After speaking to Virgin Customer Service today, I was told the number port will happen on 08/04/22 despite me telling Virgin numerous times that the BT line will be deactivated 02/04/22; when I mentioned this, I was told that as the request was made prior to the line being deactivated, BT will keep the line activated until the number port takes place on 08/04/22, however, when I called BT to check, I was told this was not the case and the line will be deactivated as planned tomorrow.

The landline number means a lot to me, is there anything I can do to speed this process up before the BT line is deactivated and I lose it?

2 REPLIES 2

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The moral of the story is simple. Follow the correct porting procedure as per OFCOM instructions for porting landlines.

The customer MUST ONLY contact the new provider to initiate the number port. The new provider then arranges the number port AND the closure of the old providers account automatically.

Contacting your old provider & giving notice yourself can result in the line being classed as "pending disconnection", which will stop any number port request from proceeding & you may lose your number as a result.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi dgblue2,

Thanks for posting, and very sorry for any confusion regarding your number port.

nodrogd has offered some very helpful advice.

You would need to let BT know that the line needs to remain open, the best thing would be to cancel any disconnection regarding the landline, as this would automatically disconnect when we take over the number.

Alex_Rm