cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port home phone from Virgin Media to Sipgate

neil2022
Tuning in

We would like to port our home phone number from Virgin Media to Sipgate (a VOIP provider), and I gather that the port request has to be made by Sipgate.

I also understand that this will lead to the phone element of our package being automatically cancelled. 

This raises some questions:

1. At this stage, we do not want to cancel the other elements of our package (Broadband and TV). Is it possible to confirm that these services will continue unaffected if we port our home phone number to Sipgate?
  2. I understand from comments elsewhere that cancelling the phone element of our package will lead to a substantial price increase - does anyone know how much this is likely to be?  We are currently paying £70 / month for TV, Broadband and Phone (details below). Incidentally, we are “out of contract”.

Any help or advice gratefully received.

Our current package: 

TVPlayer

Broadband: M100 Fibre Broadband

Phone: Talk More Anytime

7 REPLIES 7

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi neil2022,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

If another provider requests the the number this would only cancel the line, the other services would remain active.

You are right in what you're saying regarding the package, if you receive a bundle discount this would be removed and the package may overall be higher.

We don't deal with package changes via this forum, however you can speak to us on 150/ 0345 454 1111 and we can go through options with you.

Alex_Rm

Hi Alex

Thanks for confirming that the other elements of our package will remain in place if we port our phone number to another provider.

Thanks also for your suggestion of contacting the customer service team by phone about the size of the price increase. However I have already tried to get through to this team on many occasions recently and my call is never answered, so I will simply wait for the next bill to find out how much our package will now cost.

Thanks again for your help.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The first thing I would point out is that Player TV is a legacy package. Dropping the phone line will also drop any legacy items you currently have. VM no longer have a “Player” level basic package that is equivalent to Freeview, so you would be offered the Mixit package, which is the lowest tier subscription package. Player was in some cases previously offered free with Broadband, so as stated there may be a substantial increase for dropping the landline.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Many thanks nodrogd - when you say we will be offered a new package, will this just appear on the next bill (along with a hefty price increase), or we will receive an email or some other kind of message? I know the advice is to "discuss options" with the customer service team, but given that they never answer the phone, I'm not sure how to go about this.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for raising your concerns neil2022,

Welcome back to the community!

If a new package has been agreed then the new price will begin from the day it has been set. 

All of the price differences will be rectified when the next bill has been received. 

Thanks,

Kain

Hello Virgin,

I have a very similar dilemma to Neil and am considering porting my home landline number to sipgate or other provider, are VM offering any SIP/VOIP services in the next 6-12 months?, £19 pm line rental for weekend calls to UK Landline and virgin Mobiles at weekends is extortionate value for money, not to mention any calls we make (if we ever do), we have just had our CV1 adpater put in our superhub 3 and i was alarmed to read that the service is devalued now in the sense we can not make emergency calls in the Event that the Broadband network is down.

I had various Broadband Issues in July and calls the VM Support 150 number (which used to be free) and had £4.20 slapped on my July bill.

As a loyal VM customer, I like many others are paying our Broadband subscription, why cant a better value SIP/VOIP offering be provided or at the very least not remove bundle discounts for taking away this shocking value for money service in its current form, debating a switch to Vodafone or SKy for my Broadband also as a result.

Before you say call the support team, i have tried the live chat service and never got through, plus i don't really want to keep being charged £4 a call for phoning.

Kind regards

John

Hi johndalgleish, thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear of your concerns since the migration and the charge received for calling a free number.  As I can assure you, 150 from a Virgin Media landline or Virgin Mobile is free, we need to investigate that on your behalf.  I am going to send you a private message.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.  Also, in answer to your opening question, any updates we may make to how we offer a service would be reported here.

Regards

Lee_R