cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port BT landline

janinecollinsuk
Joining in

I would like to port my active BT landline to Virgin.   Please advise how to do this.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @janinecollinsuk 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Sure we can do this for you. It's an 8 working day timescale so please ensure the number is active up to that date (we'll provide that date of the switch in PM). 

Sending the PM now 🙂

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@janinecollinsuk wrote:

I would like to port my active BT landline to Virgin.   Please advise how to do this.

Thanks

Just to point out you only need to contact Virgin to do this. They will arrange the number port INCLUDING the closure of your BT account. Under no circumstances contact BT & give notice yourself, or it may result in the number port being blocked. BT may contact you to confirm that you have requested to leave.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi nodrogd

We never advise it will close any account I'm afraid. We always state it will take the number only and to ensure you do contact the provider to make sure any other services are disconnected.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for joining me on PM @janinecollinsuk and allowing me to sort this for you 🙂

Do pop back to the community if you ever need further help.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@John_GS wrote:

Hi nodrogd

We never advise it will close any account I'm afraid. We always state it will take the number only and to ensure you do contact the provider to make sure any other services are disconnected.

Best,

Perhaps you ought to explain that to the many people who have lost their numbers by doing just that. You also need to talk to OFCOM about changing their advise to customers moving to a cable provider, which clearly states this function is carried out by the new provider. Many providers will put a stop on a landline if you cancel the other services. Excluding a FTTH connection any number port will automatically cancel both Broadband & Phone services, not that the OP has at any time mentioned Broadband.

"If you're switching to or from a cable network, you will need to contact your new provider to place an order for your new service or services.

If you choose to keep your existing 'phone number, your new provider should notify the provider you are leaving that the service is being transferred (although you may not be able to keep your existing landline number if you are switching landline provider at the same time as moving home).

If you are switching your landline only and you have asked to keep your existing phone number, you would not normally need to notify the provider you are leaving that you are moving to a new provider (though you may want to check whether the provider you are leaving will charge an early termination fee for leaving your contract)."

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

This would refer to the landline service, yes porting the landline does cancel the landline service on the old supplier. It may cancel their other products they have, however, we do not guarantee that and thus we say when porting to ensure any other services are cancelled with that old supplier.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team