Menu
MadM3
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Phone via router extension

Hi All, my daughter has upgraded to 1G and lives with her grandparents. They have just switched to VM for landlines (not porting till Monday) plug phone (BT KX-TGJ420E, 2 cordless units) into dongle on SH4 Works fine. Have drilled holes and put pre wired straight through phone extension cable in and tried on that and line is dead. 

Any ideas what's up?

TIA

I do not work for VM but was an installation engineer for them back in the stone age.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
goslow
Community elder
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Phone via router extension

Can you test the phone extension lead on another line (next door neighbours etc.) to make sure the lead is not at fault?

Is the extension a lead with a pre-moulded BT plug on one end and pre-moulded BT socket on the other which is being plugged into the VM adapter on the back of the hub?

A few issues have been mentioned on here in the past when the customer has tried to use a RJ11 plug straight into the hub (to get rid of the VM adapter) but has not bought the right variant of RJ11 to BT socket lead.

0 Kudos
MadM3
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply.

I had checked the EX cable with a DVM & it was fine. 

Figured it out in the end.

If the male (phone) was pushed all the way into female (extension) it was pushing past the spring pins and losing connection, this was AFTER removing pins 3&4 at both ends in case of any bleed over 🤯🤯🤯

Goes to show that cheap is not always better. Sorted now

Thanks again any way 👍👍

I do not work for VM but was an installation engineer for them back in the stone age.
Corey_C
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply and updates, MadM3,

Glad to hear things have been sorted.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos