cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone switchover

gordonc7
Tuning in

Hi everyone.

I've searched other similar queries but I can't find an answer to my particular situation – apologies in advance if I've missed something obvious. OK, so like many others my hub is in one room (downstairs) and my main landline is in another room (upstairs). The hub sits next to the telephone socket. I ran a phone extension cable (male into socket, female at other end upstairs) to the main phone and everything worked fine for many years. This week I plugged the Virgin adapter into the hub and connected the extension cable to that and... nothing! I brought the phone downstairs, connected it directly and... perfect. I then tried it with another extension cable to see if the system just doesn't like extensions but, again, nothing. Does the new system require a higher-specification extension cable or is there a limit on the length of extension cable? I'm really puzzled by this and would be grateful for any suggestions. Just to be absolutely clear, there are no extension sockets involved. The hub is Hub 3.0. Thanks.

27 REPLIES 27

Thank you for updating us @gordonc7, our agents will do all they can to help and please do let us know how everything goes. 

Thanks again.

Hi Ash. Is anybody following this up?

Hi Molly

Still waiting for your follow-up? Thanks

Apologies for the delays gordonc7, Molly is currently out of the office but will be back shortly to respond. 

Rob

I have 1 x Base Station plugged into the Hub using the Adapter that was sent to me.  I also have 3 x Cordless phones around the house, just plugged into 3 pin sockets and sitting on chargers.  All work perfectly.     The Base Station one just sits quietly with the volume turned down as it’s near the hub so I don’t answer that one.  Hope this helps.

Thanks Dinger. That's the way I've got it working temporarily but it's not an ideal solution for us as our corded base station is a speakerphone with a screen that usually sits in our home office – we both work from home so it would be really helpful to just get back to where we were. I think somebody from VM is on the case and has suggested an engineer's visit to rectify the cabling which may be suffering from some legacy issues. Once this is resolved I'll post the solution here. Thanks again for your interest.

Hi everybody who chipped in to help!

The good news is that everything is now working as it should – and as it was before! – following an engineer's visit today. He quickly diagnosed the problem as incorrect wiring at the naster socket and resolved the issue within around 30 minutes. This was an unscheduled follow-up to the two engineer's visits on Wednesday which neither diagnosed nor resolved the problem – in fact their sole (pun intended!) contribution was to leave dirty footprints on the carpet by not wearing their overshoes! Thankfully we were able to remove the offending marks by sprinkling on talcum powder (!) and leaving for two days before vacuuming off – sheer witchcraft!

The other good news was that after an equally tortuous round-the-departments investigation with ADT – which at one point had them suggesting I would have to fork out £300+ for some new kit! – a kindly engineer performed a remote test this afternoon and confirmed that everything is working as it should and that no further work (or expense!) is required for the alarm system to continue to work as intended with the new digital telephony.

Again, thanks to everyone who helped get to this point – a very merry Christmas to you all!

Thank you for the update @gordonc7

We are glad to see that the issue has since been resolved. We do however apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused during the process of trying to resolve this issue. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs