cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone switchover

Stubacka
Tuning in

My home phone is on the ground floor and my broadband hub is on the first floor. How can the phone be plugged directly into the new hub? - Not possible

6 REPLIES 6

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

With so little information given I'll assume you have cordless phones...

Put master cordless phone next to hub, put slave cordless phone downstairs 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Stubacka wrote:

My home phone is on the ground floor and my broadband hub is on the first floor. How can the phone be plugged directly into the new hub? - Not possible

IMO, a cordless phone arrangement is best for a phone connection from the hub, as already advised by @jb66.

If you are seeking internal phone sockets to be reconnected to the hub after the phone switchover (for use with corded phones), then you have to arrange that with VM as part of the switchover. It can often be a convoluted and protracted process to get VM to do it. Read all of the info in the link below:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone

Sometimes VM seem to want to do this during switchover if a tech is visiting as part of the process (but make sure any work on extensions is booked as part of the job so they have sufficient time allocated). On some past topics the customer has had to wait until the switchover is complete to then get the internal extensions reconnected later on.

If you have any other equipment connected to the line such as burglar alarms, health alarms etc. you need the extensions reconnecting to the hub as part of the switchover.

If you can explain more about your setup/requirements, one of the VM forum team can advise when they get to this topic in a day or two.

Master phone base station is also answer machine - don't want that upstairs

Master phone base station is also answer machine - don't want that upstairs

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Most modern cordless phones allow messages to be picked up, and answering machine features controlled, via the remote satellite handsets irrespective of where the base station is located.

Hi @Stubacka,

Welcome back to our community forums and thank you for getting in touch with us regarding your landline setup.

I have been able to access your account using forum details and I can see you have been able to speak to our team to get an appointment booked for this. Please let me know how the appointment goes and if you need any further help regarding this.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs