cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone switch over

Db13
Joining in

Have received a letter and a text about the switch over have tried to ring for an engineer to come but cannot get through. The text has said an adapter will be sent. Does that mean we do not need an engineer 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

It is a quick and easy task.

The photo below shows how the adaptor fits between the cable of BT style phone and the Hub. 

Client62_0-1675089034687.jpeg

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Client62
Legend

It is a quick and easy task.

The photo below shows how the adaptor fits between the cable of BT style phone and the Hub. 

Client62_0-1675089034687.jpeg

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Db13,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

Apologies for any issues faced, can I ask are you able to colocate your Hub and landline i.e. are they in the same room?

Let us know,

Kain

No they are different rooms

I have a Super Hub 2 which works perfectly for current my needs, but it does not have telephone outlet sockets RJ11 which I believe the adapter fits. The Virgin Media website for switchover states:-

The only cable that should be connected to the RJ45 sockets is your adaptor, and then the phone line plugged into the adaptor. RJ45 sockets are smaller than an Ethernet cable sockets, and will only work for our phone service. The adaptor needs to be plugged into the first RJ45 socket, shown in the picture below.

Surely this is incorrect. Ethernet cables are RJ45. The adapter plugs into an RJ11 socket judging by the picture found on VM’s website

CasaAdelfa_0-1675091890611.jpeg

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover.

When I rang 150 and eventually managed to speak to someone in order to book an engineer, I was told an adapter would be sent in the next 2 – 3 weeks. No engineer was booked. Does this mean that I will have to upgrade my router to the more recent Hub 3,4 or 5.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Right okay,

Thanks for the response there.

We'll need to get this arranged with our team as the adaptor wouldn't stretch that far.

I've dropped you a PM so we can discuss further, the message will appear within the purple envelope icon.

Regards,

Kain

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi CasaAdelfa,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

We'd need to replace the Hub with a 3 or above to make it compatible for the fibre line.

I've dropped you a PM to discuss further.

Regards,

Kain

@CasaAdelfa wrote:

I have a Super Hub 2 which works perfectly for current my needs, but it does not have telephone outlet sockets RJ11 which I believe the adapter fits. The Virgin Media website for switchover states:-

The only cable that should be connected to the RJ45 sockets is your adaptor, and then the phone line plugged into the adaptor. RJ45 sockets are smaller than an Ethernet cable sockets, and will only work for our phone service. The adaptor needs to be plugged into the first RJ45 socket, shown in the picture below.

Surely this is incorrect. Ethernet cables are RJ45. The adapter plugs into an RJ11 socket judging by the picture found on VM’s website

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover.

When I rang 150 and eventually managed to speak to someone in order to book an engineer, I was told an adapter would be sent in the next 2 – 3 weeks. No engineer was booked. Does this mean that I will have to upgrade my router to the more recent Hub 3,4 or 5.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need a Hub 3, 4 or 5 to use VM's landline service via the VM hub. Earlier superhub versions have no phone socket.

You are correct, the VM text describing RJ45 is wrong. The error has been mentioned on here before and acknowledged by VM but has remained unaltered.