Menu
CH2005
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Phone sockets not working

VM installed on Thursday, broadband working, phone sockets not working, unable to get through to technical support by phone, trying every day, sick of hanging on the phone forever listening to music, about to cancel service. Does technical support exist or is it a myth? 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone sockets not working

Virgin no longer installs telephone master sockets on its network. They now use VoIP via one of the RJ11 sockets on the back of the internet hub. If you still want this to connect to a master socket/extension system you need to tell the install engineer at the time of installation.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If you subscribed to landline you should have been supplied with an RJ11 to BT adapter which you plug it into the TEL 1 socket of the hub 3.0.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
CH2005
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you both for your replies. The installation engineer explained that a telephone extension cable would connect the router to the phone socket and then all the phone sockets would work. Unfortunately the only one he had was too short so he couldn't test this. When I connected a longer cable later, the sockets did not become live -- no doubt he assumed the socket he could see was the master socket.

I had been assured by the salesperson that I could still use my wired landline phones but, even if I could re-wire the phone sockets, neither of my current phones works properly when plugged into the router (they don't ring, dialling is very slow with lots of noises and many wrong numbers). I assume this is due to my needing the connector and perhaps newer phones. Unfortunately I cannot use cordless phones 😞

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I think you'll now find that the easiest way to have a phone in multiple rooms is a multi-handset DECT cordless phone which does work with the hub 3.0.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos