cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone service is changing

Gandolf
Joining in

The hub is in my study, on the first floor. The 'phone is in the hall on the ground floor. I'd need over 10 metres of cable to join the two. It would have to go down the stairs, and that would be a safety hazard.

I assume that also means the hub has to be powered 24 hours a day. NO WAY, the hub is only on when the computer is on, and that is how it will remain.

We are repeatedly being told to save energy and you are telling me to do the very opposite, and waste energy!

7 REPLIES 7

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Gandolf wrote:

The hub is in my study, on the first floor. The 'phone is in the hall on the ground floor. I'd need over 10 metres of cable to join the two. It would have to go down the stairs, and that would be a safety hazard.

I assume that also means the hub has to be powered 24 hours a day. NO WAY, the hub is only on when the computer is on, and that is how it will remain.

We are repeatedly being told to save energy and you are telling me to do the very opposite, and waste energy!

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

There may be different routes for any cabling needed. That could only be decided on site in discussion with a VM technician doing the work and yourself.

The hub does need to be switched on to be able to receive phone calls. The phone-via-router method of providing landlines is now being deployed by all providers

https://www.futureofvoice.co.uk/

The alternative 'wires-free' option (but at a cost to you) is to use a cordless phone setup with the cordless base station plugged into the VM hub and cordless handsets used around the home as required.

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Gandolf

Thanks for posting on our community forums. We can certainly understand your concerns regarding the additional cabling in your home due to the hub and your landline being in different locations.

We can arrange a relocation of the hub (free of charge) so this is located downstairs near your landline. Therefore, not having the additional cabling throughout your home. 

With regards your hub being on 24/7 this would be a requirement, so you have access to your landline and for regular updates to be actioned on your hub.

If you would like us to arrange a relocation of your hub, please post back to us so we can get this arranged for you.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi Jodi,

Thank you, but no thank you.

The hub will remain in my study.

The 'phone will remain in the hall.

The hub will NOT be powered 24/7 - WASTING ELECTRICITY AND FIRE HAZARD.
Switched-mode PSU's are not safe. I've had numerous explode, one in a (very expensive) microwave oven, which, if I hadn't been in the kitchen, could have started a serious fire. I'm a retired electronics engineer and had responsibility for electrical safety, so I do know what I'm talking about.

I will be looking for another land-line provider, assuming my health holds out (I've had heart by-pass surgery).

Supplying the land-line through the hub is stupid - all your eggs in one basket.

Dave.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Gandolf, 

Thank you for your reply, I am so sorry to hear you feel this way. All suppliers will be moving over to VOIP. Please let us know if you would like to move your hub.

Zoie

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Gandolf wrote:

Hi Jodi,

<snip>

Supplying the land-line through the hub is stupid - all your eggs in one basket.

Dave.

But it is the method that all providers are now going to be using

https://www.futureofvoice.co.uk/

and it is what you will be offered as a new customer elsewhere with another provider.

So like my in laws ... I've finished my 1 call to you on my phone - click it is turned off !

Image needing to call 999.

The 5+ minutes taken to fire up the VM Hub to re-connect the telephone service would feel like a lifetime.

So, I use my mobile(s) instead, and they are not with Virgin.

It's MY house, I have things as I want them, not as Virgin wants them.

END OF SUBJECT.