cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone rings once

timmag0
Joining in

Hi there 

My elderly mother in laws phone rings once and then goes dead. Calls can be made out.

She needs the phone as she wears an emergency push button that links to a monitored call center.

She only has TV and landline - no internet.

NEWTOWNABBEY BT37

9 REPLIES 9

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi timmag0, 

Thanks for taking the time to post about your mothers issue with the landline here. 

We're sorry to hear your mother is having an issue where she is unable to receive calls. Rest assured that if calls can be made out then if she needs to push the button then this will work. 

We'd love to take a look in to things but have been unable to locate the account on our systems using your forum credentials. We will need to confirm some information with you in order for us to proceed with checks. 

I have sent you a direct message to allow us to do this with you in a private space. Just click on the little envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi timmag0, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message on this one with the details. 

Taking a look at things this end, there are no open area faults affecting the landline services so this looks more like an individual issue. There are a few checks I will need you to go through. Can you let me know the following please:

➡ Does the landline work if plugging a different handset into the socket?

➡ If you don't have another handset, are you able to try the handset in another socket?

➡ When calling any number, do you get any tone and is the connection made?

➡ When receiving calls, you've mentioned the landline rings once then goes dead. Does this happen on your side when calling your mum or is this her side where her handset only rings once? If the latter, does the line keep ringing on your end? 

Pop back and let me know so I can help further. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi Kath,

Thanks for coming back to me.

Unfortunately only one handset and there is only one socket. 

This also has the pendant alarm box plugged in to it.

There is a dialling tone and you can make a call out 

The phone rings once and then the line goes dead and also stops ringing on the callers phone.

Thanks and Kind Regards

Tim

Hi Tim, 

Thanks so much for coming back to me on this one. 

I have booked your mother in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM. Once you log in scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. Please note it can take up to 24 hours to show but you should also receive a text message with the details. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to pass data protection and confirm the appointment details.

Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:

➡ The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 

➡ The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment

➡ The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

➡ The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment. If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

We will continue to monitor your services and if we can see that the fault has cleared and the visit is no longer required we will cancel the appointment and let you know by text and email.

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi Kath,

Thanks hopefully you can get sorted without a visit as sometimes it takes her a while to come to the door and at other times doesn't answer it 

Thanks

Tim

Hi Tim, 

Based on the checks, we've not been able to remotely fix this so it will involve a visit I'm afraid. 

Please keep us posted on how things go. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi Kath,

No worries.

Many Thanks

Tim

Hi Kath,

Would you be able to check progress of repair for me as got call from engineer last night to say there was a line fault but couldn't access exchange as door was jammed and that they would sort this morning as I am keen for this to be sorted?

Thanks and Kind Regards

Tim

Hi @timmag0,

Thank you for the update. I'm very sorry to hear that this issue is unfortunately ongoing for you following a recent technician visit.

So that we can take a closer look at what's going on, I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments. Please respond to this when you can and we'll go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!