cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone ringer stopped working after digital upgrade

Nigel_M
Tuning in

Hi, since plugging my home phone into the router port after the digital changeover, using the adapter Virgin sent out a few weeks ago, the phone ringer has ceased to work. I have a dial tone, I can make calls, I can even receive calls if I stand there and pick up when I know a call is waiting because I've phoned myself using my mobile. However, the handset doesn't ring. That makes the service fairly useless since outgong calls are free on my mobile...

I've read a few similar threads and occasionally a poster says their phone is an old type which needs an 'adaptor with ringing capacitor', which I believe used to be part of the wall-mounted socket for the analogue service (happy to be corrected) - but I haven't found any such post that also confirms they have resolved their problem.

Can Virgin kindly provide the appropriate adaptor if that's correct please? Or send me a phone that will work? FOC of course.

Has anyone on the forum succeeded yet that can advise please?

For info, I spent an hour or so speaking to a representative by phone on Friday 15th who told me she was conducting various tests, the last of which was to try calling the landline phone I was using - after I hung up - and call me back on my mobile. Sadly the latter didn't happen.

Next step is to cancel the service as of the changeover date, 9th October, but would prefer a simple and rapid fix. Thanks in advance.

Nigel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You could try to engage with VM about it on here but you may end up going around in circles.

Said adapter (with the ringing capacitor, if that is what is required) can be obtained online for around £5 which might be worth paying against not having to deal with VM.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You could try to engage with VM about it on here but you may end up going around in circles.

Said adapter (with the ringing capacitor, if that is what is required) can be obtained online for around £5 which might be worth paying against not having to deal with VM.

Thanks, goslow. I have seen your posts in this sort of thread before, much appreciated. Useful to know they are available but I'm minded to cancel the service anyway - I only ever receive either nuisance calls or calls from my mother and £19/month can buy a lot of mobile phone for her instead.

rgds

Hi @Nigel_M,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am really sorry to hear that you've been experiencing some landline service issues recently. We only offer one kind of adapter and this allows for rings for your landline service to operate as normal, so it certainly won't be that. I've also checked over things on our systems and I can't detect any faults on the line currently which would explain this problem.

Are you able to test another handset at all? This can help to rule out it being equipment related.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hello Zach_R, thanks for your reply.

I agree, it can't be the adapter since that's simply a set of short wires that convert the plug types from old analogue style RJ11 to digital/VOIP RJ-something to suit the Virgin router socket.

I can assure you there was nothing wrong with my handset until the minute Virgin disconnected the analogue service. Nice try but I have no intention of buying a new handset to dig Virgin out of this hole they have dug themselves.

The best I can ascertain is that it requires a ringing capacitor-type adaptor, as in my initial post. If you're confirming that Virgin are not willing to provide the simple fix to this problem, or any other solution, then the service is no longer functional and I shall proceed to cancel.

Please confirm.

thnx

Nigel

Hi @Nigel_M,

Thank you for getting back to me with this. As advised, we only supply one type of adapter and your services should function fine with it as it does with our other customers. We would not supply you with an alternative adapter nor would we supply you with a replacement landline handset.

If you don't wish to purchase a new handset then if possible I'd recommend borrowing another handset if you can to test if it is equipment related.

If based off of the above you wish to cancel then that's not something we typically process from the forums I'm afraid, and as such I'd then recommend speaking with our retentions department who can outline your options. They can be reached by calling 0345 454 1111 (or 150 from a Virgin Media landline).

Let us know either way how you intend to proceed and if there's anything further you'd like for us to help you with.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Nigel_M wrote:

Thanks, goslow. I have seen your posts in this sort of thread before, much appreciated. Useful to know they are available but I'm minded to cancel the service anyway - I only ever receive either nuisance calls or calls from my mother and £19/month can buy a lot of mobile phone for her instead.

rgds

For the purposes of a test, if you happen to have an old ADSL microfilter around at home anywhere, some people in past topics have reported that inserting the microfilter into the phone cable connection chain can generate a ringing sound (as the ADSL microfilter contains a ringing capacitor). So the connection would be 

Hub TEL1 socket >> VM adapter RJ11 to BT socket >> ADSL microfilter >> Telephone

if you get a ringing sound you know it is a matter of getting a suitable adapter. The ADSL microfilter can be used for testing purposes only but should be replaced with the correct adapter for long term use.

You might find that removing the VM landline from your package won't save you that much due to the way VM bundles and discounts its services. You may even find that VM charge you more for removing the phone! That said, I got rid of my landline at the start of the year for the same reasons you are thinking of. Can't say I miss it!

Thanks again, goslow. I don't have a filter as far as I know. Some bits of old kit lying around but it's not my area. Logically, the change 'has' to be the reason my handset no longer rings. I guess this is why I've never seen a successful resolution from Virgin on earlier forum posts. They know full well older handsets won't work!

Agreed, when signing up, landline and internet is cheaper than landline alone, but I can change my package and save several £10's/month online without the pain of going through retentions in person, and City Fibre will be here soon. When I say 'my', I'm actually enquiring for someone else.

I'm gong to unsubscribe now.

thanks and regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel,   telephone adaptors with ringing capacitor are available for VirginMedia routers 3 and 4 from Ebay for just £3 to £4.