cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone permanently engaged

Owzat
Joining in

I have no dialling tone and phone always busy. Tests show no fault with Virgin equipment and no fault with Panasonic phone

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Might be totally unrelated, and useless if the phone line wasn't fitted by VM:

But in my former home, I had a BT landline installed, the bloke was neat, chatty, and pretty quick. As he finished fitting the wall socket, he asked if I had a phone, I showed him my new, boxed BT Cordless, he said '"great" and packed his stuff while I unpacked my phone. He said if there were any issues he'd be back.

I plugged the phone in but stupidly didn't check as it needed a 24hr charge. It was only a few days later when I tried to use it (usually use my mobile) that I realised there was no dial tone. I rang BT (off my mobile) and the bloke came back a couple of days later. He scratched his head (A LOT) then opened the wall socket and laughed.

"I put the tip & ring wires in the modular wrong," he said, shaking his head ... Long & short, my phone was effectively connected to itself.

I didn't think it was that funny, but errors occur, unfortunately, so if VM fitted the line they might want to check 🙄

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Owzat,

Welcome to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry to see that you are having issues with your phone.

Can you confirm if this is your mobile or your landline?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

asim18
Fibre optic

Most likely a landline as mobiles don't have a dial tone. Also Panasonic is renowned for high quality home phones, I've never seen a Panasonic mobile phone.

Hope this helps. 👍

Might be totally unrelated, and useless if the phone line wasn't fitted by VM:

But in my former home, I had a BT landline installed, the bloke was neat, chatty, and pretty quick. As he finished fitting the wall socket, he asked if I had a phone, I showed him my new, boxed BT Cordless, he said '"great" and packed his stuff while I unpacked my phone. He said if there were any issues he'd be back.

I plugged the phone in but stupidly didn't check as it needed a 24hr charge. It was only a few days later when I tried to use it (usually use my mobile) that I realised there was no dial tone. I rang BT (off my mobile) and the bloke came back a couple of days later. He scratched his head (A LOT) then opened the wall socket and laughed.

"I put the tip & ring wires in the modular wrong," he said, shaking his head ... Long & short, my phone was effectively connected to itself.

I didn't think it was that funny, but errors occur, unfortunately, so if VM fitted the line they might want to check 🙄

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Owzat,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear that you're currently having trouble with your landline service.

I've been able to locate your account and can confirm that there is an outage in your area affecting your landline service. Unfortunately I don't have many more details about the outage such as an estimated fix date/time, but I'd just advise to monitor this for now and if you're still having issues after 24 hours, just let us know and we can check for any updates for you.

I'd also advise to keep checking the Service Status Page to see if any updates about the outage are registered there so you can keep up to date with the progress of the fault.

Hope this helps,

Beth

Beth