Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone line to fibre

gorrillabfg
Tuning in

Good evening everyone. 

I have two questions regarding the switching of phone lines to fibre

1, my hub runs in modem only mode and is located in my loft space as it is housed inside my it cabinet/rack with my network and my phone socket is on the ground floor in the front room.

2, my father in law only has the phone line installed and has no hub how will this affect him as he doesn’t have a mobile and it’s is only for of communication so give his age and health requires a phone line that will work even in a power cut. How will his service be provided. 

Thank you Andy

2 REPLIES 2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@gorrillabfg wrote:

Good evening everyone. 

I have two questions regarding the switching of phone lines to fibre

1, my hub runs in modem only mode and is located in my loft space as it is housed inside my it cabinet/rack with my network and my phone socket is on the ground floor in the front room.

2, my father in law only has the phone line installed and has no hub how will this affect him as he doesn’t have a mobile and it’s is only for of communication so give his age and health requires a phone line that will work even in a power cut. How will his service be provided. 

Thank you Andy

1 - Do you have a spare ethernet cable running from the loft to allow your phone connection to be patched from upstairs in the loft to downstairs using the ethernet cabling? Or would you consider a cordless phone setup?

VM should (in theory) offer to modify your phone wiring for free to accommodate the switchover but mention of lofts and possibly the need for working at heights may complicate this.

2 - VM will provide an emergency backup phone handset (mains and battery powered and connects over mobile) to allow calls to be made to emergency services during power outages. A hub will be provided to connect the regular phone to but it will not be provisioned for broadband, just the 21CV phone service.

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @gorrillabfg thanks for your post here in the Community, hoping you're well.

I do apologise, as I haven't noticed a specific question in point one so if I have missed anything please let us know.

In terms of your Father-in-Law, we'll be in touch to arrange an installation of a Hub solely for the purpose of providing the phone line, there won't be any broadband be available through the Hub and he won't be charged for this. 

In terms of if there's a Hub failure, As our fibre phone line runs over our broadband network, it doesn’t have its own back-up power source. This means if there’s a local power cut or network outage, the fibre phone line will stop working and you won’t be able to make calls.

If you have accessibility needs or don't have a mobile phone, we’ll give you an Emergency Backup Line at no extra cost. This lets you call 999/112 emergency services during a power cut or network outage which may be what he needs.

For further info on the Emergency Backup Line, please see towards the bottom of the page on here.

Many thanks

Tom_W