cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone line poor/crossed

Mikey6
Tuning in

Hi all, recently been affected by very poor quality phone line and also some sort of crossed line.

As soon as phone is picked up we're told "call cannot be connected" without even dialling. A lot of the time, there's no dial tone in the first place. We've had people calling us saying they are returning a call we've just made (we haven't made any calls). Also today picked up the phone and it was already connected to emergency services (ambulance) who were asking the caller to cough to confirm they needed assistance!

Can't seem to find a solution online/forums as eventually the end result is a PM between customer and Virgin.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Certainly sounds like a crossed line type of problem. Similar has been mentioned in relation to 'phantom' call charges appearing on customers' bills so keep an eye on your phone bill too and make sure no unexpected call charges are being racked up while the fault exists.

The VM forum team should reply here within a day or two usually to assist.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Certainly sounds like a crossed line type of problem. Similar has been mentioned in relation to 'phantom' call charges appearing on customers' bills so keep an eye on your phone bill too and make sure no unexpected call charges are being racked up while the fault exists.

The VM forum team should reply here within a day or two usually to assist.

• Thanks goslow, I look forward to receiving contact from the VM forum team and I'll keep an eye on any random call charges too

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Mikey6, thanks for the message and sorry to hear about the issues which you are having with the landline. I will be able to look into this further for you and will send you a private message. Please look out for the purple envelope. Chris

Hi Mikey6, thanks for speaking with us via private message. 

I am glad that this is on the way to getting resolved.

Please let us know how it goes. 

Chris

Ok, seeing as normally the PM message is the last thread on most issues I thought I'd update proceedings.

Technician attended today and the resolution is that instead of using the old BT phone connection, the phone has now been plugged into the broadband hub instead.

The next step now is to get the 'call charges' that accrued whilst our number was calling people to be removed.

Oh yes, thanks to Goslow and Chris for getting this resolved in an extremely timely manner.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Glad to hear this is on the way to being resolved. Hopefully the VM forum team can follow up for you and get the call charges refunded.

Do keep an eye on your phone bills for a time going forward with the new connection. The 'crossed line' issue should be resolved with the new connection method but the service still comes from the same exchange equipment at present, just a different method of delivery to your home.

And for good measure, get full itemisation implemented on your phone bill (which should FOC) and that way you can track all calls going forward just in case any further issues arise.

Hi Mikey6, thanks for the reply and welcome back to the forums, as the phone is not plugged into the hub it will be impossible to get a crossed line in the future. In regards to the billing issue, I will send you a private message so that this can be looked into further. 

Kind regards 

Chris, 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

A connection from the hub should prevent a common 'crossed line' but there have been several past topics where the customer has still been billed for phantom calls, even with a phone connection from the hub so suggest @Mikey6 continues to monitor billing until fully satisfied that the issue has been completely resolved.