cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone line not working

brian5
On our wavelength

couple of weeks ago, Virgin media knocked on my door, they had found an intermittent fault in the area and traced it to my house, He checked all connections in the house, and said the fault was the wire between the street and my house. An appointment for 31/1/22 was set up for them to come out, lift slabs in my driveway and replace the cable between the street and the house

About a week later some guys came out and dug in a new access box in the street and ran a new cable from the bigger access box to it, and said the other team would be out as sheduled to replace the other cable.

31/1/22 The other team arrived and replaced the cable between the house and the street. It was the next day before we had to use the landline and found that it wasn't working. The guy had said something about him having to change the cable in the ground to a different type. We have an old style box on the wall where the phone line plugs in with a BT style plug, I was told that I can plug my phone into the Hub, so I replaced the phones RJ11 to BT cable with an RJ11 to RJ11 cable and tried that in the Hub, it still isnt working. I don't know if I need an adapter or if my phone is not compatible with the hub, or if I need to have something activated.

I have tried, and failed, to speak to an actual person at virgin media to discuss the problem and have had to go through an absolutely useless series of questions online by clicking little boxes, and ending up either at a broken link or back where I started. I then called only to get landed with a robot asking the same questions I had just answered, and having no option to speak to any real advisors, and end up booking an engineer appointment for NEXT WEEK, as I was given no other options.

I will now have no landline for a full week, until someone appears at the door, and will probably tell me that either another cable will have to be fitted, or that all i had to do was plug something in.

I have been with virgin media since it was telewest, and being able to contact anyone has just got harder and harder.

My phone is a Panasonic KX-TGC223EB, if anyone can tell me if its compatible with the hub or not, and what, if anything, I need to do to connect it properly to my hub, or if it's just a wire that need fixing at the outside wall.

3 REPLIES 3

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @brian5

Thank you so much for your post and I am so sorry to hear that you have faced this trouble with your landline! 

From looking at our systems here we can see you have since been in touch and a technician has been booked - to check or reschedule this, you can check on your online account here

Thank you. 

brian5
On our wavelength

I already replied to the ridiculous answer I got from the " Forum Team ", that completely missed what my problem was, so just to update,

Technician came to my house on friday, and as i suspected, his time was completely wasted as all he needed to do was activate my phone line on my Hub by accessing my account and activating it through that, which I could have done myself if I had been able to actually talk to someone about my problem instead of getting passed from pillar to post, and having to book a home visit.

I have also just received an email telling me that I have had an answer to my original post, that's a reply that was posted over a week ago, and which I had already received and email about, and which I had relied to, but my reply is nowhere to be seen.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @brian5,

Thank you for coming back to us. I'm sorry that you've had some issues with our Forums!

However, I'm glad that your landline issue has been able to be resolved with the technician appointment. I understand that you stated that you could have resolved this yourself, apologies if you felt like your technician appointment was wasted.

Please let us know if you need anything else and if you need any further support. We're here to help. 🙂

Thank you!

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs