cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone line dead but getting call charges on my account that i havnt made

theshadow
Tuning in

I've contacted virgin media today about  a strange problem I've been having with my phone service their going 2 send a engineer out but can't yet as I'm currently self isolating. 

Approximately 10 days ago an engineered came to replace my cable apparently it was wear and tear but we lost our TV, phone and Internet for a day. When he replaced the cable he said he didn't replace our phone cable as its outdated and we would be contacted soon about being updated where your landlines phone is connected in your hub, our TV and Internet came back on and tbh we wasn't that bothered about waiting for the phone line to b reconnected as we never use it anyway.  The strange thing though is when I received my current bill I had Approximately £17 worth of calls made that I didnt recognise plus there's no dialling tone on our phone its completely dead and if u try ringing the landline from a mobile which i have tried it has a constant engaged tone. I'm wondering as these call charges have only occurred since the repair has been done , is it possible that I could be getting charged for calls that our being made from another household (would this be possible)

Too add virgin have credited my account for the £17 and would have got a engineer to me tomorrow but I am not out of isolation until the 8th of August so I will have to patiently wait, I thought I would post this question as I was interested if anyone else has had a similar experience. 

Thank u

2 REPLIES 2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Yes, this issue is mentioned with some regularity on here, though not in great numbers. For a conventional telephone line (via wall socket) the explanation often put forward is a crossed line somewhere meaning you end up getting billed for someone else's calls. In one past topic a next-door neighbour was running up unexplained charges as a result of a crossed line.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Additional-charges/td-p/4548671

You've done well to get the £17 refund. Often the amounts are a lot larger too. Usually, the VM forum team have to unravel what has gone on and deal with an appropriate refund. Hopefully the next technician visit will ‘uncross’ you, if that turns out to be the cause.

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi TheShadow,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your landline services looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to book an engineer visit for when you're out of isolation as I can book it for after the 8th of August if you'd like? Then it's booked in and you can rest knowing it'll be rectified 🙂

As for your hunch with crossed lines, this can happen from time to time and from what you have said it does sound to be the case. 

I am glad another team have managed to partially rectify it with the credit refund 🙂 Let me know if you want to get an engineer booked in after the 8th Aug and we'll go into a PM to get it sorted!

Thanks,

Megan_L