cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone extensions

wpj
Joining in

Hi

My home phone is about to be switched over to fiber network but this appears to support only one phone.  However I have several wired extension, which I am told will no longer work.  Is it possible to connect the extensions to the fiber network.  Also all of my phones are located some distance from my router. Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for your replies and update, wpj,

I'm glad to hear you have had the visit booked, you can view and manage your visits from your online account here:https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-manage-engineer-appointment

In most cases setting up the extensions can be done however, feasibility and cost will depend on the complexity of the work involved, such as, internal wiring and the layout of the house and where the phones/extensions are located. The engineer once done with the initial set up will also work on the extensions or advise you on how feasible or complex the work will be.

Another idea might be a DECT phone with base station which allows for multiple wireless handsets.

Cheers,

Corey C

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Answers to this question on the forum vary widely and whether it can/cannot be done and whether VM will/will not charge you for it.

One of the most recent topics on this is below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Home-Phone-Service-upgrade-Change-request-of-enginee...

which was looking encouraging that the OP may be able to book a technician (as advised in VM online information) as part of the switchover process.

Your answer might depend on how far into the future you are having the phone switchover done as to when/if you can book it

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @wpj,

Welcome to our Community Forum. Thank you for your post and thank you for making us aware of your landline issue.

After looking into this for you, unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, having multiple extensions to one phone line is not possible at the moment. 

As far as I know, this may require a digital phone with multiple handsets in order to have the flexibility of having a phone in different areas of your home.

Thank you to @goslow for providing some excellent information.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Paulina_Z your reply seems to be the opposite of what was being offered at the link below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Home-Phone-Service-upgrade-Change-request-of-enginee...

My reading of the link above was that @Serena_C was willing/able to book a technician for @PBou (the OP on that topic) as part of the phone switchover process once the installation date was nearer.

The OP on the current topic seems to be requesting the same thing, namely his existing phone extensions are reconnected as part of the switchover process.

It would certainly help any customers being switched over if VM could come to a final conclusion on the matter of re-connecting existing phone extensions on 21CV.

For all the posts that have appeared on the forum about it, my guess is that half appear to get it done (usually after a complaint following a new installation) and the other half (who enquire about it) are told it cannot be done or costs £99

The only 'official' piece of information seems to be below, which suggests (to my reading of it) that it will be included via a technician visit, at no cost, as part of the switchover if the customer specifically requests it

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone#whatishappening

I have several phones connected to extensions – will these work?
Yep, when our technician pops around to install your new Hub (if you need one) they’ll make sure all your phones work too. Please make sure you respond to our calls to schedule a technician visit.

@wpj seems to be following the recommended VM online advice and requesting his extensions are connected as part of the 21CV switchover process.

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @wpj and @goslow,

As per the link provided by Goslow, the tech should arrange the phone extensions: 

"Yep, when our technician pops around to install your new Hub (if you need one ) they’ll make sure all your phones work too. Please make sure you respond to our calls to schedule a technician visit."

Apologies for any confusion.

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@wpj

Apologies that I have hijacked your query but, as you can tell from the topic so far, the answer and mechanism for getting this done by VM could do with some considerable improvement IMO.

From the information you have received from VM about the switchover, have you been given a date for your switchover and are you expecting a technician to visit as part of that process?

Do you already have a VM Hub 3 (with the TEL1 socket on the back) or do you have an older model of hub?

The switch over date is 22 July and I have a Hub 3.  I have requested a technician visit and I am waiting to hear.

Thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

That all sounds encouraging and you now have your answer above from the VM forum staff on what should happen during the technician visit.

Assuming that all goes through, be sure to check your extension sockets yourself afterwards and satisfy yourself that all of them are working correctly for calls/in out while you still have the technician on site. Good luck with the switchover to 21CV.

Thanks for your replies and update, wpj,

I'm glad to hear you have had the visit booked, you can view and manage your visits from your online account here:https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-manage-engineer-appointment

In most cases setting up the extensions can be done however, feasibility and cost will depend on the complexity of the work involved, such as, internal wiring and the layout of the house and where the phones/extensions are located. The engineer once done with the initial set up will also work on the extensions or advise you on how feasible or complex the work will be.

Another idea might be a DECT phone with base station which allows for multiple wireless handsets.

Cheers,

Corey C

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Corey_C wrote:

<snip>

Kudos to you @Corey_C. That's the best VM answer on this subject out of the many topics which have been raised about it. Your answer actually matches the realities of customers' experiences when they post on the forum.

Your explanation above should be pasted onto this page

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone#whatishappening

and used to replace the existing information there about moving existing phone extensions on 21CV.

If customers were given the info as you have described it, in advance of the 21CV switchover taking place, they would have a much clearer understanding of what the real options and limitations are. VM could even quantify it by saying they will connect existing extension sockets within X metres of cable length from the hub, and excluding any BT master sockets!

A lot of those posting this question about extensions on 21CV are older customers whose preferred (or only) method of communication is a traditional landline and a corded phone via extension sockets. Any kind of change away from that is a big change for them. VM could certainly do a lot better job at targeting help for this particular issue with that particular user group.