cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone calls from VM ?

Davycrocket
On our wavelength

I have received 2 calls from Virgin Media I don’t know if these are genuine? Does Virgin usually call you ? I have no problems with my internet. 

4 REPLIES 4

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Davycrocket,

Welcome back, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the issues with this.

We do not normally call out for faults, as we would only know this if you called us to check your account.

I would recommend ignoring calls like this unless you have called us first.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

does VM keep customers phone number private ? how do they know our landline phone number ?

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Davycrocket.

Yes we do protect all information.

We are not responsible for how a scammer has found your information, it can be found through websites and marketing cookies. I am sorry for the inconvenience that they are causing you.

You can block the numbers that call.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

@Davycrocket wrote:

does VM keep customers phone number private ? how do they know our landline phone number ?

The bulk scam calls are generated automatically by dialling software/hardware which systematically works its way through blocks of numbers in turn hoping that a call connects to a working line.

In addition, OFCOM helpfully publishes lists of number allocations to different telecoms companies which are freely available on the internet! This gives the scammers a starting point to make an educated guess at the service provider.

It all goes a bit wrong for the scammers if the number has been ported elsewhere from the original number owner but they don't really care and they will simply attempt to bluff it out and press on with their scam story script.