cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Switchover

DiFontaine
Joining in

Hi 

Cant find a specific answer to my question on the forum.  My phone is in a separate room to my router and I have no intention of moving it - phone line in hall where it has been since the house was built and router in the lounge no where near the phone line.  I am guessing there is no other option other than losing the phone line and my question is what would I lose if anything?  Landline is neve used but seems an odd 'upgrade' as I doubt that everyone's phone is right beside their router.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@DiFontaine wrote:

Hi 

Cant find a specific answer to my question on the forum.  My phone is in a separate room to my router and I have no intention of moving it - phone line in hall where it has been since the house was built and router in the lounge no where near the phone line.  I am guessing there is no other option other than losing the phone line and my question is what would I lose if anything?  Landline is neve used but seems an odd 'upgrade' as I doubt that everyone's phone is right beside their router.

Thanks

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi DiFontaine, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

@goslow has got here before me and has offered perfect advice. The switch over is a change from copper lines to fibre and this will be applied by all providers until 2025 in the UK. I will send you over a private message so I can confirm some details with you.

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

The reply from goslow above is correct, however it does require VM to come out and some how run a cable between where the hub is and where the phone is. Now this can be quite intrusive (wires running along skirting boards, around door frames etc), or sometimes quite unobtrusive, especially if there is already a phone extension socket reasonably close to the hub or if the new cable can be run externally via the same hole in the wall that the coax cable comes from.

The other alternative, especially if you do never actually use the landline is to simply do nothing. The phone will stop working on switchover day, (maybe beforehand you set up a call divert on the line to send to a mobile number), just disconnect the handset and put it away in a cupboard and forget about it. Now probably, you still will need to carry on paying for a landline you aren't using (which it sounds like you have been doing anyway), as cancelling it, sometimes, seemingly perversely, increases the monthly cost, and doing so would start a new 18 month minimum term contract anyway.

Something to think about anyway.

Your point about not everyone having a phone next to the hub is valid, but really only for VM customers (well mostly). This initiative is being done by all telecom providers before 2025, but the majority of people will be on a BT/Openreach connection, where the internet connection is provided via the phone line and it's fairly normal to have the equivalent of the VM hub close to the 'master socket' where the phone is normally plugged in anyway. So for the majority of UK users, this really isn't an issue at all.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The 'do nothing' scenario is certainly also an option.

However, a few past topics from customers who 'did nothing' (because they were unaware of the change happening) have mentioned that their landline stopped altogether after switchover and they lost their former landline number (which may have some relevance for some customers being switched, even if they don't regularly use the line).

From the regular topics on here about phantom call charges (where call costs appear on the customers bill but the customer knows nothing about them) these regularly mention that the customer has a phone line from VM but it is never used and a phone is not plugged in. An unused line which is never checked in any way may possibly be open to further problems such as this.

IMO, if a customer is paying for a landline, they should probably have a phone plugged in (and maybe set to silent) so the line can be checked every so often to make sure it is still operating correctly.

The other option (which I forgot to mention) is that of cordless phones but that may not suit the OP's requirements as described.