cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Change to Fiber.

MacmillaN
On our wavelength

Good evening, 

We received the fibre adaptor and relevant information for our phone to plug into the back of the modem.

However, we have two phones within our property one in our living room and one in our kitchen.

(However we are not too bothered about having the phone in the kitchen connected)

The problem is however we have the modem within our back bedroom, so we would have to run a long cable from our living room through a hallway and into the back bedroom in order to use the telephone.

Unless you have another solution for this to prevent this issue.

10 REPLIES 10

MacmillaN
On our wavelength

I read some other posts within the forum, this might actually be a time to replace my current very old phone with a newer model.

I am guessing this would work with the way I outlined above for example i would put the Base Station in the bedroom connected to the modem via the adaptor provided by Virgin and then put the Phone and the charging station in the Living room, removing old phones from original sockets within the property on day of switchover or should I be looking at something else?!?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Cordless phones are the most simple way to set up a connection to VM's new 21CV phone service.

For the situation you describe (to keep things exactly as they are now), you would buy a 'triple' set cordless system i.e. which comprises a cordless base station with cordless handset with two satellite cordless handsets and charger bases. You would connect the base station/handset to the VM hub in your bedroom. You would use one of the satellite handsets in the kitchen and the other satellite handset in the living room. You need a power socket at each location to keep the phones charged up while resting on their bases. If you don't want the kitchen phone any more. You would do as above but purchase a 'twin' cordless phone system.

On the day of your switchover, you leave your phones plugged into the normal phone sockets. At some point during the day they will stop working via the telephone wall sockets. At that point you connect the phone(s) to your VM hub.

Nothing to stop you getting the cordless phones in advance of the switchover and running them on the old phone connection to get used to them before switchover day.

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi MacmillaN, welcome back to the community! Thank you for posting!

Sorry to hear your concerns regarding the switchover and your set up at home following this. You've posted a couple of times here about different issues so I will address them individually. 

1) The location of your Hub. As part of the switchover process we will re-locate the hub for you if needed - just let us know when booking in your switchover! 

2) Use of multiple phone sockets in the home. As part of switchover we can arrange for the secondary telephone sockets to be connected via your Hub landline connection if needed. 

3) Using multi-handset phone unit. You can of course use whichever handset you prefer! As long as the main handset is connected to your hub you will be able to use the extender handsets as expected. 

You can read more about landline switchover here in this community article and here on our website. We have a handy leaflet which runs through the process here. 

Hopefully this addresses all of your concerns! Please let us know if there is anything outstanding we can support with. 

All the best!

Molly

MacmillaN
On our wavelength

This is exactly my thinking, having everything easily available for when the switch over occurs.

Plus we have a very old handset within the property so this seems like an ideal time to do a slight upgrade, i am looking into this (HELLO Gigaset) 

I think the one i have added a link for above would work, well it seems to tick the boxes stated above,

phone at the moment as a single handset at the moment, but i can add additional handsets overtime if i needed, as like i said above i don't think i am going to need another phone in the property if the new one is cordless.

It's great that you are planning in advance ready for the switchover @MacmillaN 🙂

If we can help with anything else do let us know and I hope you have an amazing day!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I had a think about it and Ideally I would like to keep the hub where it’s located, cause it connects to my computer directly, could someone come out and adjust the current telephone sockets in the property to RJ11 and run a cable from the hub to these?!?

thanks

Hi @MacmillaN,

Thanks for getting back to us on this.

Do you have multiple handsets or just the one? If you have just the one then you'd need to connect that to the Hub using the adapter, so you'd need to relocate the phone to where the Hub is if you're not moving the Hub.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

MacmillaN
On our wavelength

As stated above, I have two telephone sockets in the property one in the living room and another in the kitchen, the hub is currently located in a back bedroom. Ideally I would like to keep the hub located where it is due to it connects directly into my computer.

Hope this helps!

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @MacmillaN,

Thank you for coming back to us about your ongoing landline query. I'll be more than happy to help arrange for a technician appointment for you so you can have your landline set up the way you'd like. 🙂

I will send you a Private Message to confirm a few details. Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I'll be in touch soon.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs