cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Telephone Wires

tryjones
Tuning in

I have a working internet phone but we are decorating and I want to know about the old wire phone connections.  There is a long wire and plastic boxes. Has anybody ripped thes out and not disturbed the internet phone. It is easier to decorate without wires and boxes so I would like to hear your experience. I don't mind if it is good and easy or bad and caused failures.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@tryjones wrote:

I have a working internet phone but we are decorating and I want to know about the old wire phone connections.  There is a long wire and plastic boxes. Has anybody ripped thes out and not disturbed the internet phone. It is easier to decorate without wires and boxes so I would like to hear your experience. I don't mind if it is good and easy or bad and caused failures.

Presumably your phone now only connects straight into the back of the VM hub and you make no use now of any extension sockets around the home.

What are the socket(s) that you are trying to remove - an extension socket or the VM master socket?

If you are removing extension sockets, that should be easily achievable.

Locate where the VM master socket is in the home (example master socket as per RHS picture at message #3 below)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/no-virgin-media-wall-socket/td-p/4353656

the lower section of the faceplate should be removable.

Once you have removed the lower section of the faceplate, the extension wiring should be fed from the back of the faceplate and you can disconnect from there. Example (of a BT master socket with faceplate removed) below

https://telecomgreen.co.uk/home-phone-repair/your-master-socket-and-how-to-avoid-a-large-bill/

If you are still a VM customer you can always pay VM £25 for a tech visit to do the removal for you and take the lot out.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @tryjones 

Welcome to the community forums. Thanks for getting in touch.

We would advise not removing these boxes in case you do require them in the future. There maybe others within the community that can support you with their own personal experience if they have also removed any master sockets or extension sockets within the home. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@tryjones wrote:

Presumably your phone now only connects straight into the back of the VM hub and you make no use now of any extension sockets around the home.

What are the socket(s) that you are trying to remove - an extension socket or the VM master socket?

If you are removing extension sockets, that should be easily achievable.

Locate where the VM master socket is in the home (example master socket as per RHS picture at message #3 below)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/no-virgin-media-wall-socket/td-p/4353656

the lower section of the faceplate should be removable.

Once you have removed the lower section of the faceplate, the extension wiring should be fed from the back of the faceplate and you can disconnect from there. Example (of a BT master socket with faceplate removed) below

https://telecomgreen.co.uk/home-phone-repair/your-master-socket-and-how-to-avoid-a-large-bill/

If you are still a VM customer you can always pay VM £25 for a tech visit to do the removal for you and take the lot out.

tryjones
Tuning in

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question about removing old telephone boxes and wire. It was connected to the security system but the security engineer removed the link and I ripped out the old boxes and wire. Everything is freshly decorated and the telly, internet and TV work fine.

Thank you.

TRY

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question about removing old telephone boxes and wire. It was connected to the security system but the security engineer removed the link and I ripped out the old boxes and wire. Everything is freshly decorated and the telly, internet and TV work fine.

Thank you.

TRY

Hi TRY, 

Thanks for updating your thread! I am really glad the security engineer managed to get this sorted for you without any issues 😊

I am also glad the redecorating went well too! 😁🖌

If you need any further help, you know where we are. 
Thanks,

Megan_L

If they are Virgin phone wires, why not rip them out, they are now installing all phone lines via your Internet Hub.  I ripped out the other wires in my house, either installed  by the Post Office, British Telecom, BT or Openreach, and dug up the wires under the front garden and cut under the boundary wall.

Another fibre only firm is installing a network in our area soon, getting now rid of old fashioned BT, so if Virgin gets a bit unreliable then there's room for another cable.