Menu
DrTeeth
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Number porting out of VM

I had my phone number ported to VM when I left BT. I have now placed an order with a suitable ISP for a FTTC connection.

I was told that my number now 'belongs' to VM and they could refuse permission to release it.

What are peoples' experiences with moving a number away from VM?

Cheers

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Number porting out of VM

Hello

Number porting can only happen if both lines are active, if your VM line has a cancellation order on it then a number cannot be ported, this is in line with Ofcom rules for number porting.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

VM do not own numbers that are ported to them. They always remain in the original providers “pool” of numbers. However, as explained above, if you give notice to a provider you have ported that number too it is considered that you have given the number up & it must be returned to the original provider for allocation to a new customer. You do not retain the right to the number even if you are moving back to the provider that “owns” it.

Number ports on fixed lines, unlike mobile porting, are driven by the new provider you choose. They alone have to make the arrangements INCLUDING handling the termination of the account with your old provider.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey DrTeeth,

We would only refuse permission to port a number if the new provider, who drive the porting process as @nodrogd said hasn't given us the correct account information to process the order and it will then be rejected until the new provider can provide the correct account information to proceed with the port. Any rejected order is communicated back to the requesting provider with a code and for them to get back to us with the correct information 

Please make sure that you keep your line active with us before the port as we need to have an active line to port the number out to another provider.

Please don't hesitate to ask, if you need more information. 

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
DrTeeth
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steven,

Can the number be ported after I have given my 1 month's notice?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi DrTeeth,

We advise that you speak to your new Provider and ask them to submit a port request for your number and once it's ported, to give us notice to disconnect your whole account. This way, if there are any delays to the other Provider's install or if they accidentally trigger the port early and there are issues, your line would still be active in case of emergencies.

However I understand that you wouldn't want to be paying two Operators at the same time so yes you can give us your 30 days notice and then ask the other Provider to request for the port but it runs the risk of their Porting Team not submitting the request or if it get's rejected by us (if the port order fails security) and then the line disconnects completely due to your 30 days notice.

It's a chance you make as once it's disconnected, the number can no longer be ported and will be ceased.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos