cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number not recognised - I know it's correct

Grandy62
Tuning in

For some reason dialling my own work landline (with VM) from my home landline (also VM) has started getting the number not recognised message. I know number is correct. Works number is receiving calls from other landlines ok. Home phone can call other landline numbers ok. Only happens (as far as I'm aware) with this combination. Help!

11 REPLIES 11

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Grandy62, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you're having an issue calling your VM business landline number from your Residential landline. 

• What happens when you try calling the other way round? Do you get the same issue or does the call go through OK? 
  • Are both the landlines installed at the same property or are the connections at 2 different addresses? 
  • Can you also confirm if you have ever been able to successfully call the number?

Pop back and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Separate addresses, it's worked for years no problem, phoning work to home is ok .

Only change is work number has been swapped to VoIP recently but receiving other incoming calls there ok, and was assured that would not affect any incoming calls. 

Hi Grandy62, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this one and for confirming the information. 

It's certainly a strange one. Have you been in touch with VM Business at all yet? If so what have they advised?

I've been unable to locate you on our systems using your forum credentials so I will need to confirm some information with you in order for me to proceed with checks on the residential line.

I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi Grandy62, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this on via private message. 

I have taken a look at the line this end for your residential account and all seems to be working fine. 

As it's the Business line that is giving you the error, please get in touch with VM Business for them to run through some checks on that line. 

You can find all their contact options here

Keep us posted on how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

I am having this exact problem. Have called Faults line via Virgin Business multiple times and two engineer visits later, no one seems to be able to fix this problem. Not sure if Grandy62 will see this post but if you got it resolved, please tell me how as I’m getting desperate! Thanks 

Hey @Tamachan, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media forums!

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the Business line.
As this is a residential forums page, we wouldn't be able to locate your account and see what the issue is.

May I ask if you have call divert active on your Business line?
I have attached a contact us page for the Business sector here to get support regarding this.
Let us know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Ilyas

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

Thanks. No call divert as when I call from Virgin Media residential line (analogue) to my Virgin Media business line (digital via Hitron), the message is “the phone number is not recognised”. This has only happened since we converted to digital and now have a new Hitron router. The weird thing is that I can call the business line from my mobile and from other non Virgin landlines (such as BT or Sky) with no problems. So the problem specifically relates to calls from Virgin Media residential lines.

I’ve contacted Business Faults but 3 weeks later, this hasn’t been resolved. I will keep trying but was hoping someone might have had a similar problem! 

Thank you for the reply @Tamachan.

May I ask if you are having any other issues with the residential landline? Can you make and receive calls on there without any issue?
Let us know.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

No other issues, I can call out fine from the virgin residential line. I’ve asked a friend who has Virgin media (analogue) too and she gets the same “number not recognised” message when she calls the business number (digital). It’s all very strange and I think the engineer who visited was also very puzzled. Our analogue business line has been switched off so unfortunately can’t go back.