cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No phone since short power cut - other services OK

keithh123
Up to speed

We had a very short (couple of seconds) power cut this morning during the storm, after which my landline is no longer working. It was working earlier in the morning. Broadband and TV came on again OK after they'd rebooted.

Service status is that there is no problem (TN9). Have done the troubleshooting and checked the line with a "normal" phone plugged directly into the socket. With the normal phone the line is dead, with my cordless phones there is a quiet but angry-sounding buzz rather than a dial tone. If I phone my landline from a mobile it gives the engaged tone.

The VM "help" website sends me around in circles and strongly discourages phoning, so am hoping someone here can help please!

26 REPLIES 26

Hi there @keithh123 

Thank you so much for your post and I'm sorry Travis has not been able to respond yet. 

I am going to respond to your PM now so we can continue with this. 

Thank you. 

MrsLiboli
Joining in

No dial tone in PO3. It became apparent last night.  No issues with tv or broadband. Check sockets and phones.  Service status says no issues 

Hi there @MrsLiboli

Thank you so much for your post and I am so sorry to hear that your phone line is down! 

I will send you a PM now so we can take a closer look into this. 

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner alerting you to a new message received. 

Thank you.

GeoffB
On our wavelength

I'm also having problems both with landline and Virgin mobile. Landline doesn't connect or receive calls (just a slight buzzing sound. Mobile signal is up and down like a yo-yo. If I happen to have a reasonable signal, as soon as I dial a number the signal disappears so can't connect. No probs with TV and broadband. (I don't think we've had a power cut because the alarm clocks aren't flashing).

Hi @keithh123 

Thanks so much for your private message and confirming your address, I have now booked you a visit for your landline  – you can check the date and time via your online account here. If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Thank you

Hi there @GeoffB

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to our Community Forums! 

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having this issue with your landline! 

Can I ask if your phone is plugged into the master socket? If so are there any other pieces of equipment plugged in at the same point? 

Have you been able to try another handset on the line at all? 

Thank you. 

GeoffB
On our wavelength

None of the landline phones around the house connects or receives, just the slight buzzing. The base station phone is connected to the phone socket via a TrueCall blocker. But I disconnected this and connected my phone directly to the socket and it made no difference. I've also powered the phone base station off and on but again no difference. The phone and CallBlocker are plugged into the same power socket but no other powered items use the same socket. 

Thank you for confirming for me. 

I believe this will need an engineer. I will send you a PM now so we can look into arranging this. 

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

Thank you. 

I have exactly the same issue in BN13.

No landline since Friday morning.

What's happening to put it right VM team?

Hi there @Nobblet

Thank you so much for your post and I'm so sorry to hear that you are facing these issues. 

Have you checked our service status page online here or called it on 0800 561 0061 to check for any outages in your area? 

Thank you.