cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No landline dial tone instead just hear crackling noise, no incoming calls either

v9090_9180
Tuning in

5 months after a fix (https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Since-weeks-intermittent-fault-No-dial-tone-calling-...) I have the same again:

- No landline dial tone instead just hear crackling noise

- no incoming calls either; no rings heard at my end

Online fault tracker show nothing and getting to a person is not possible.  Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @v9090_9180

Thanks for joining me on PM.

Just to update the thread, the engineer visit was booked in and can be tracked in your Online Account

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi

Thanks for posting. I'm really sorry to hear of the landline issues.

I've ran some checks on our system and the status of the landline shows no issues but doesn't say more than that. Running further tests, I did a test call to your landline and it rang out perfectly fine. This was 5 minutes ago. Did it ring your side?

Regarding the phone line -

Are you plugged into the master socket? It will have a larger socket and contain a logo of Virgin Media, NTL, Telewest or Nynex. Any extension sockets will be smaller and have no logo.

Do you have any other pieces of equipment connected to your phone socket? This can include but not limited to;

• Fax machines
  • Modems 
  • Micro filters

If so, is it less or more than 3?

Can you also check the below for me; 

• Check the phone is seated in the base unit correctly & powered ON. 
  • Remove all other equipment connected to telephone sockets. 
  • Unplug the phone and check another phone directly into the main socket ensuring this is a VM socket and not one with a BT or Sky logo. If no alternative handset is available then ensure the original phone is plugged into the main socket with no other pieces of equipment being plugged in. 

Let me know how you get on

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John,

No ring on our side.  And still I have no dial tone.

Yes I have tried both master socket and extension socket - same result.

Nothing other than a phone; no fax or modem or filter.

Also tried as you suggested

• Check the phone is seated in the base unit correctly & powered ON. - Checked
  • Remove all other equipment connected to telephone sockets.  - checked
  • Unplug the phone and check another phone directly into the main socket ensuring this is a VM socket and not one with a BT or Sky logo. If no alternative handset is available then ensure the original phone is plugged into the main socket with no other pieces of equipment being plugged in.  - checked.  I only have one handset

Still same result - crackling line with no dial-tone.  Don't get any rings when I call my home number using a mobile.

Thanks so much for doing that @v9090_9180

It's a tech visit then in that case. I'll send a PM now to get some details and get this booked in.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Hi @v9090_9180

Thanks for joining me on PM.

Just to update the thread, the engineer visit was booked in and can be tracked in your Online Account

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

John - thank you.  All fixed.

So others know, the fault was with the old wired telephone system and the crackling was for the same reason the engineer explained. 

The engineer changed the phone wiring inside the house to use broadband connection called "Virgin 21CV".  The phone now works and the line is complete noise free now!

Excellent news @v9090_9180,

Do feel free to come back to our Forums if you require any further guidance

Kindest regards,

David_Bn