cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No dialtone, phone can ring but no audio

antonyh
Tuning in

Our landline doesn't work. No dialtone, and no sound of any kind, but incoming calls do make the phone ring.

Analogue phone, nothing on service status for area 21, plugged directly in the analogue socket. I've taken the front off and plugged it directly into the test socket as suggested on the help pages. Everything else is in order.

I'm seeing some suggestion that it's all switched to fibre and analogue has been turned off, and I need an adapter? I've had no emails or letters about this though, so it's a mystery to me. Surely if this was the case I'd have received something.

Any suggestions what to do?

8 REPLIES 8

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @antonyh

Welcome back to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making this post regarding your landline, I'm sorry to hear there's no dialtone and no sound of any kind on your homephone. That is not ideal. 

We are gradually switching over all of our landline customers to a 21CV service where possible, which will allow customers to connect to their landline service via their router. You will receive communication in advance of the switchover via letter when it is happening in your area. But I checked on our systems and your area is not being switched over just yet, so that rules that out as the root cause.

Have you tried plugging a different handset into your telephone socket to check if it's a fault with the handset itself?

Kind regards,

Serena

Thanks Serena for clearing that part of it up. I'll have to get hold of another handset to try it - I only have one.

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @antonyh

Happy to help! Please keep me posted on how it goes testing with another handset 🙂

Best wishes,

Serena

We got a brand new BT branded handset, and it has the same problem. It rings but no audio, and no dialtone either. Caller ID works, so I don't think it can be the handset or the house wiring.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @antonyh,

Thank you for coming back to us about your landline issue. Sorry to hear that a new handset did not resolve the ongoing issue.

Are you able to take a quick look at our Landline Faults page to see if this can help identify your issue? Please come back to us and let us know if this helps. If not, I'll be more than happy to investigate this further for you and see what is causing this issue. 

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Yes, I tried all of these ideas first. I need assistance from an engineer, but there's no way to request this online. How can I get this investigated?

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @antonyh,

Thank you for coming back to me about your ongoing landline issues. Sorry to hear that the Landline Faults page did not help resolve this, I will be more than happy to investigate this further for you. 

I will send you a Private Message to confirm a few details. Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I will be in touch soon. 🙂

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @antonyh,

Thank you for coming back to me via Private Message and confirming that you've been able to get in touch with our technical team by calling and having a technician appointment arranged. 🙂

Please keep us updated on how you get on and if you need any further help going forward. We'll be more than happy to assist.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team