cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No dial tone - told to replace handset

Adam177
Joining in

We have no dial tone on our landline. Virgin technical support say there are no issues with the line and we need to replace the handset as it’s is not compatible anymore. Does anyone know if this is likely to be correct and if what handsets are compatible? We have had the same cordless base station connected to the hub since we switched 3 years ago. 

7 REPLIES 7

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Adam177

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making this post regarding the issues you are having with your landline, I'm sorry to hear you have no dial tone on your landline. Any ordinary modern phone should work on the 21CV connection but requires the VM adapter (BT socket to RJ11 plug) to connect the BT plug on the end of the phone cord into the back of the hub. Cordless phones are best used on the 21CV connection. Are you able to try using a different handset to rule out that this may be a fault with your handset?

Best wishes,

Serena

Hi Serena

We are using a BT to RJ11 adaptor supplies with the hub. It is a Panasonic KX-TGC420E cordless handset we have connected. The only other handset we have is an older corded one that may be too old, but I will connect it and see. 

Adam

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Adam177

Thanks for getting back to me with the details, the cordless phone you are using should be compatible - so I would just like to rule out that it is not a fault with that specific handset itself. Please do try the old corded handset and let me know if this works for you!

Kind regards,

Serena

I’ve tried the other handset, still no dial tone.

Hi Adam177

I can look into this for you as we would need to get an engineer out 
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Our landline has again stopped working. Last time it turned out to be a local area problem. Can someone confirm if this the case again? The service status is not reporting  any issues, but that doesn’t seem reliable. 

Hi Adam177, welcome back! Thank you for returning to the thread to update us. 

Sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your landline again! 
If you ever need to check for outages you can do so here: https://virg.in/servicechecker or by calling 0800 561 0061. 

Having had a quick look on our systems there does not seem to be one affecting you currently. 

On this basis I will send you a PM to confirm a few details and offer further support. 

You will find the PM in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 

We can then return to this public thread with an update as soon as possible. 

All the best! 

Molly