cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No dial tone on landline

skiingscot
On our wavelength

I have had a virgin media landline with my broadband for many years but never used it so had the phone disconnected most of the time. I went to reconnect it again recently and there is no dial tone when i am conencted in to the PSTN master socket where the line used to terminate. I also tried connecting the handset to the RJ11 telephone socket on the back of the virgin media hub incase the line had been migrated to IP without my knowledge. sadly this is also dead. 

Is there a way to check the connection method of your account landline with virgin media without having to call them? I tried the online chat function / bot / whatsapp but the minute you state its landline technical faults it says they cant help and you should call. 

Any guidance much appreciated 

Cheers

7 REPLIES 7

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @skiingscot,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm very sorry to hear that your landline has no connection and that you're unsure about which connection method is active on our systems. 

You can run some further technical checks on your landline by taking a look at our Landline Faults page for more information.

I'll be more than happy to look into this for you and do my best to help with your dial tone issue. I will send you a Private Message to confirm a few details. Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I'll be in touch soon. 

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @skiingscot,

Thank you for coming back to me via private message and confirming your details. I have now booked you a technician visit for your ongoing landline connection issue – you can check and amend the date and time of your appointment via your online account.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Please keep us updated on how your appointment goes and if you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Paulina thanks for the update, as per my previous PM and latest reply it does appear that the issue is at the virgin media connection of the master socket as the handset etc is working fine on another landline connection. As per our conversation this service is still connected to the analogue PSTN master socket which is failing to get a dial tone from multiple working handsets. instead of having to send out an engineer as previously asked is there an option to have my landline number ported from the PSTN network over to the IP service and i will connect my handset via the port on the back of my VM hub? 

The migration appears to be underway as part of the analogue decomissioning by VM and the wider telco industry so instead of incuring the costs of an engineer it would make sense to just migrate this line over?

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @skiingscot,

Thank for coming back to me. We are in the process of moving our customers over to the 21Century Voice service which will allow them to connect their landlines to the back of the Hub. 

However, as your area is not yet in the process of this happening, we have to follow protocol and arrange for a technician to investigate your current issue. 

The engineer will be able to look into this further for you and help resolve this, as well as answer further questions about the Home Phone Switchover.

Please keep us updated on how you get on at your appointment and if you need any further support.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @skiingscot,

Thank you for the confirmation that you're happy with your appointment time and date. 

Please keep us updated on how your appointment goes and let us know if there's anything we can do to help going forward.

Thanks!

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Good news is the phone is now back working following a quick visit from the VM engineer this morning. 

The engineer ported my line over from the analogue port to the IP service out the back of the hub exactly as I suggested we should do. This does feel like a waste of virgin media engineering resource as I had already said i was in a position to connect the phone directly to the hub and highlighted some details around this through our DM's including having the cables and had already tried this but needed hub telephony enabled. The engineer spoke to the hub team, i answered some security questions to confirm authorisation of port and acceptance of impacts of the IP migration (ie no power = no landline). 10 minutes later and a hub reboot the line was operational.

You advised that the IP telephony migration was not yet underway in my area which is clearly not the case with many accounts having already been migrated in Edinburgh and there was no issue porting my number across today and was the initial step for resolution. Aware that you were just following process and would like to thank you for your help with this and arranging the visit to get this resolved. I would however suggest in these situations the workflow within customer services could be streamlined allowing this sort of work to be initially undertaken as a self-service allowing engineers to focus on real faults and customer outages. 

Hi skiingscot,

Thank you for your open and honest feedback 

Great news the line is now working 

Gareth_L