cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Landline Dial Tone

mariner894
Joining in

Our landline appears to have died. No dial tone and incoming calls get the 'engaged' tone.

I have tried the suggestions on the company website. Main phone is now plugged into the 'test' socket inside the phone socket box. One other phone in house is cordless extension from the main phone (using only mains electricity not a phone socket). Both phones showing "Check phone line" message in display.

I think I need an engineers visit. Any help appreciated (especially from VM). Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @mariner894

Thank you for doing those checks for me.

As that hasn't resolved the issue, an engineer will be required. 

I will send you a private message now so we can arrange this securely. 

Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of the page and pop me a reply when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Vikki_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @mariner894

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear about the issues you are having with the land line. 

Do you have any other handsets connected to your telephone line that may be ‘off the hook’?

Are you plugged into the master socket? It will have a larger socket and contain a logo
of Virgin Media, NTL, Telewest or Nynex.

Could you also please try the following:

• Check the phone is seated in the base unit correctly & powered ON.
  • Remove all other equipment connected to telephone sockets.
  • Unplug the phone and check another phone directly into the main socket ensuring this is a VM socket and not one with a BT or Sky logo. If no alternative handset is available then ensure the original phone is plugged into the main socket with no other pieces of equipment being plugged in.

Please let us know how you get on. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Vikki,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have just re-checked both handsets and they are 'on the hook' and fully powered up.

Main phone is connected to the master Telewest socket. Currently in the 'test socket' accessed by unscrewing the front plate of the master socket.

I do not have another phone to plug in.

Hope this is useful info.

Hi @mariner894

Thank you for doing those checks for me.

As that hasn't resolved the issue, an engineer will be required. 

I will send you a private message now so we can arrange this securely. 

Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of the page and pop me a reply when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team