cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Dial Tone on Landline

TonyJoyce
Joining in

I've had no dial tone on my landline for ages (probably more than a year!) and thought I'd have another go at getting it fixed - last time I tried I got nowhere. I've been round the online help several times again, chatted to a bot, but once again nothing has helped. I would very much like to book an engineer but can't find a way to do that.

Is there a nice easy way to request a visit from an engineer to fix my landline?

5 REPLIES 5

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @TonyJoyce,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first post. 

Sorry to hear that your landline has been down for so long and that you have not been able to resolve this with our team. I can understand the frustration caused and want to best help.

Just to confirm, have you checked the connections and the cabling at the back of the handset to see if well connected or if the cables are damaged? Also, have you tried an alternative handset to see if the issue persists? When you last contacted us, what was discussed? 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi @Akua_A

I've checked the cabling on the phones, and tried different handsets. There doesn't seem to be anything awry with the cabling outside - TV and broadband are still working (I guess a landline cabling issue wouldn't affect them anyway, my landline is on a wall socket, not in the hub). I can call my landline from my mobile, and will hear a ringing tone in the calling device, but no sound or notification of any sort on the device attached to the landline.

Last year I think I gave up because I was told that it wasn't possible to resolve a landline issue online and when I called the number I was given I didn't manage to get through. I hadn't actually noticed the landline had gone down until my brother said that he'd been trying to call me!! It was the same today, the online chat said it couldn't do any more and I would need to call the 0345 number or ask on the forum.

As I've not tried the forum before, I thought I'd give it a go! Seems to be working so far 🙂

Cheers

Tony

Thank you for letting me know and I further apologise for your experience.

In this case, I have sent you a private message so I can further investigate this. Please lookout for the purple envelope on the top right-hand corner and provide a response when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Everything is fixed, I have a landline again!

To clarify for others, once I'd realised the landline wasn't working I checked all the cables were connected properly, I checked that the phone was fully charged and operating, I checked that there wasn't any obvious damage to cables leading to the wall-mounted socket, and I tried different handsets. Nothing gave me a dial tone. I could ring the number from my mobile and I would hear a ringing tone on the mobile, but nothing from the phone connected to the wall-socket. I checked service status in my area and there were no problems reported.

Having done all that, I requested an engineer appointment through the forum. @Akua_A was very helpful - they checked a few details with me, ran some checks from their end, and booked an appointment for me. My engineer, Stephen, turned up this morning, enabled the phone connection on the hub, and ran a few tests using my existing phone handset. Everything's hunky dory. The wall socket is a bit redundant now but who cares!

Tony

Hi there @TonyJoyce

Thank you so much for letting us know that this is now resolved and thank you for leaving this for future users of the forums it is very helpful and we are grateful for the advise. 

I've passed this onto Akua as well so she knows this is resolved and if you ever do need any more help please do not hesitate to reach out again via the forums. 

Thank you very much.