cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router to connect home phone

Jeff_Reeves
On our wavelength

Earlier this month I was called to say a technician would visit to fit a new router to connect the home phone. He arrived on the 9th with the new router and kindly reset the WiFi passwords on most of my other equipment such as computers and printer. It is a little inconvenient to have to have the home phone basestation next to the router but everything worked as usual. Some days later a parcel arrived with yet another router. Obviously this was a mistake by Virgin and I took no action but the day before yesterday everything except the TV (on a separate coax connection) stopped working. After lots of calls to Virgin it was determined that Virgin had mistakenly updated the identity details to match the second router which was still in its box. Several hours later the router and home phone are now working. Thank goodness for our O2 mobile phones!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Jeff_Reeves,

Thanks so much for the update. We cannot apologise enough that this hiccup happened and that you were left without a home phone or internet due to the 2nd router being activated.

We're pleased that you are now back up and running.

If you have any further issues, please come back to us through this channel.

Kind regards Jodi. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Jeff_Reeves,

Thanks so much for the update. We cannot apologise enough that this hiccup happened and that you were left without a home phone or internet due to the 2nd router being activated.

We're pleased that you are now back up and running.

If you have any further issues, please come back to us through this channel.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Thanks Jodi - everything good so far.
Kind regards Jeff

Everything appeared to be working after the new Router had been correctly set up but I began to notice that the TV was saying "channel information not available". I assumed wrongly that the problem was at the VM end and would sort itself out. However the message should have been "TV not connected to Router". The TV has its own coax cable to VM and I did not realise it also needs a connection to the Router for the channel information.

The VM technician who installed the Router should have checked the TV connection but he did not.

After 30 days the message "TV error M58" appeared on the TV screen which translated to TV not connected to Router. I called 150 on my home phone and was talked through how to set up the WiFi name and password on the TV. In many cases the TV and Router are connected by an Ethernet cable but they are too far apart in different rooms in my house.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for getting back to us Jeff_Reeves. 

I am sorry for the issues you have experienced, I appreciate this must be frustrating. 

Just to clarify, has the Hub and set top box now been connected via WiFi? If so, are you still getting error messages? 

Let us know and we will do all we can to help. 

Thanks, 

Nat

Thank you Nat,
Yes the Hub and set top box are now connected by WiFi and appear to be working normally.
Kind regards
Jeff

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for letting us know Jeff 🙂

Please do get in touch if we can assist in the future. 

Nat