cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New ip installed

educ8ian
Tuning in

Telephone now connected to IP network via a new Virgin Media router. Phone now connected as part of a telephone and TV package only (ie not broadband enabled as I'm not a broadband user).

Now if a caller rings me when I am on the phone, they no longer seem to get an engaged tone and my answerphone fails to cut in (ie they assume I'm out and that I've switched my answerphone off accidentally). 

Is this all part of what providers might call an 'upgrade in service' or can this issue be resolved with a simple technical fix?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @educ8ian

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

When caller tries to dial you - does the line just keep on ringing or cut out straight away? There isn't anything in particular we can do to fix this as this isn't a fault with the 21CV system.

Everything on the switchover can be found here - including standard features included with the service etc.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @educ8ian

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

When caller tries to dial you - does the line just keep on ringing or cut out straight away? There isn't anything in particular we can do to fix this as this isn't a fault with the 21CV system.

Everything on the switchover can be found here - including standard features included with the service etc.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@educ8ian wrote:

Telephone now connected to IP network via a new Virgin Media router. Phone now connected as part of a telephone and TV package only (ie not broadband enabled as I'm not a broadband user).

Now if a caller rings me when I am on the phone, they no longer seem to get an engaged tone and my answerphone fails to cut in (ie they assume I'm out and that I've switched my answerphone off accidentally). 

Is this all part of what providers might call an 'upgrade in service' or can this issue be resolved with a simple technical fix?

If you have been moved over to the 21CV connection, have you had 'call waiting' enabled on the line as a standard feature as advertised in the switchover web page?

If another call comes in, while you are on the phone, you would hear a beeping sound to tell you another call is coming in.

Have a look at page 11 in the home phone manual

https://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Phone%20User%20Guide.pdf

I think you are in purple zone when you are on 21CV. It says you can't have voicemail and call waiting on at the same time.

Use the suggested settings to see if call waiting is active on the line and see if you can turn it off.

See if engaged tone and voicemail then return for incoming calls when call waiting is off.

Thanks for some hints to follow up. I have it on good advice that some cordless phones, even relatively modern ones, can have the issues on the CV21 set up. I wonder if a different phone might restore the engaged tone and enable callers to leave a message?

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @educ8ian,

If you wish to try a different handset, that would be okay.

Let us know if it helps with this.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if anyone has had similar issues and, if so, if there are any specific handsets which appear to resolve this issue?

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @educ8ian,

What alternative handsets have you got that you can try? Have you noticed any improvements when trying a specific hanset?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@educ8ian wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if anyone has had similar issues and, if so, if there are any specific handsets which appear to resolve this issue?

When you say at #1 "my answerphone fails to cut in", what are you referring to here?

Do you mean the VM voicemail service or do you mean an answering machine built into your home phone?

If it is the latter, I don't understand how this would be able to pick up a second incoming call if you were already using the line on an earlier call.

If you are referring to VM voicemail, then try the suggestions at #3 before buying a new phone as, from your description, it sounds like call waiting is now set up on your line after switchover and that has disabled VM voicemail while call waiting is activated.