Menu
Stevenf370
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

New installation -landline not working!

On Saturday we got virgin landline and broadband installed. We were with BT(still with them until the 24th). Originally booked for two weeks time, but virgin phoned to say they could come earlier. Before the boys left we unplugged our landline phone from the BT socket and put in the new Virgin one. No dial tone. We were told this was probably because a number of things -the date for installation was brought forward, because we asked for our BT number to be transferred and because it can take 24hours for it to be up and running. We were given a new virgin number to use in the mean time and told give it 24hours and expect 10days before BT number transferred.

It's now Wednesday and there is still no dial tone/cant phone out. When i ring phone my caller display shows who's calling but that is far is it gets. I pick up and nothing. I've tested my phone in BT socket and works perfectly, so it is NOT the phone.

I phoned Virgin last night. After a lengthy call the women told me a technician would come today. Great i thought. Then she put me on hold, five minutes later she says a technician cant come as i have already booked one for next month? I told her that wasn't possible, I'm a new customer and this is the first I've contacted them. I asked to who had booked this, she fell silent. I repeatedly asked this question and then I asked to speak to her superior or someone else. She then left me on hold for half an hour. Nobody took me off hold or spoke to me. After 48 mins and 34 seconds i hung up. I don't think she was ever going to connect me to anyone.

I'm starting to think I've made a big mistake transferring to Virgin. It was a simple issue, that their customer service centre had problems understanding. Face to face, this would have been sorted. I've tested the phone, they test the line, if there is a fault send someone out.

I've ordered a corded phone to test tomorrow, so Virgin cant say its the phone (even though I've tested it). I cant understand that i paid the £40 to get them to install brand new broadband cable and brand new phone socket and yet the socket doesn't work. So I'm expected to wait till February.

Anyone had this issue? How was it resolved? 

Thanks ever so much in advance.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: New installation -landline not working!

Might be a brand new line at your end, but not at the other.

VM antiquated POTS network is notorious for problems, & the reason why a lot of new installs are moving to a VoIP system using the Broadband modem & system.

Obviously your area is not VoIP ready yet.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Stevenf370
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. Thats all gobbledygook to me but thankfully i have google. So i'll do some research. Thanks for the info.

0 Kudos
Moderator (Retired) Huw_B
Moderator (Retired)
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stevenf370, 

Firstly I'd like to welcome you to the forums, and say that I'm really sorry to hear that your phone line has not been working since the install. I've checked and can since your post, you've call our faults department again, and that you've arranged a technician's visit. 

Please let us know how this goes. 

Apologies once again

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Stevenf370
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Good morning Huw,

I managed to speak to a very helpful gentleman who booked a technician for the very next day. I asked why I was told that a technician was booked for next month and I couldn't book a technician when i spoke to another virgin colleague. He looked on the system and said work was booked to be carried out in the area next month, not that i had arranged for my house. Maybe the other virgin colleague needs extra training to understand the messages on her system. That's in the past. Its resolved now. My landline is working perfectly normal now, however my BT number hasn't been transferred yet. It's been 12 days so I'm hoping I'm just being impatient and its not the next issue i have to phone up about. 

On a different topic. The broadband (even though stated faster than BT) is extremely laggy at times when browsing the internet. Photos on pages take ages to load (well 30 secs/minute per page in todays world is ages ha ha) Especially on the iMac sat right next to the router. Netflix/Amazon Prime on our tvs fails to get the 4k Content quality, its fuzzy. Our house is small and we never had this with BT. Cant understand as all our doors open, only one solid wall and speeds are faster than what we had with BT. It's not a huge deal to us, but our daughters are constantly complaining their xbox has lost connection. We have a wifi extender upstairs too. It's more irritating than problematic. 

Thanks for your reply!

0 Kudos
Moderator (Retired) Huw_B
Moderator (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steven, 

Thanks for coming back and confirming that the phone line is now working for you. 

With regards to the number port issue, if this is still on going, then I'd have to ask you to give our customer service team a call on 150 or 0345 454 1111 so that they can look into this further for you. 

With regards to the broadband side of things, I'm not really the best person to speak to, I've done some initial testing on the connection, and to be honest with you, this looks okay - all power levels are as they should be. It may be worth popping a post on our Broad Band forum - Link to forum as the community may be able to help with this, especially if this is wifi related - another thing that may help with this is to set up a Broadband quality monitor on Think Broadband which is free, I know that some of the community will advise this, so could be best to get in there first. A member of the forum team who works on the Broadband side will also get to look at this too. 

Thank you 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos