cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New hub for land line

dave60h
Joining in

I received a letter telling me I needed a new hub to continue using my landline.I rang spoke to a young lady,no disrespect to here but she hadn’t a clue what I was on about,after 30 mins she said she was transferring me to a different department I was on hold again for ages.Eventually I hung up.Is there any way of getting this sorted without all this hassle

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@dave60h wrote:

How can I tell which version I have?

Hubs 3, 4 and 5 shown half way down this page

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/existing-customer-deals/hub

And/or look on the back for the two grey telephone sockets TEL1 and TEL2. Back of a Hub 3 below with the VM phone adapter connected. If you don't have the two grey telephone sockets you would have an early Super Hub which would need replacing.

21-cv-connection-to-hub.jpg

And/or check the model number (which you should find on a sticker underneath or on the back of the hub)

VMDG480: Super Hub 1
VMDG485: Super Hub 2
VMDG490: Super Hub 2 AC
VMDG505: Hub 3
VMDG640: Hub 4
Sagemcom F3896LG-VMB: Hub 5

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@dave60h wrote:

I received a letter telling me I needed a new hub to continue using my landline.I rang spoke to a young lady,no disrespect to here but she hadn’t a clue what I was on about,after 30 mins she said she was transferring me to a different department I was on hold again for ages.Eventually I hung up.Is there any way of getting this sorted without all this hassle

What version of the Hub do you have at the moment?

Hubs 3, 4 and 5 have the required telephone sockets on the back. Earlier 'Super Hubs' do not.

Recent topics on here suggest there has, however, been a bit of VM 'confusion' for some customers who already have the required hubs receiving a letter saying they need to replace them.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@dave60h wrote:

Hubs 3, 4 and 5 shown half way down this page

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/existing-customer-deals/hub

And/or look on the back for the two grey telephone sockets TEL1 and TEL2. Back of a Hub 3 below with the VM phone adapter connected. If you don't have the two grey telephone sockets you would have an early Super Hub which would need replacing.

21-cv-connection-to-hub.jpg

And/or check the model number (which you should find on a sticker underneath or on the back of the hub)

VMDG480: Super Hub 1
VMDG485: Super Hub 2
VMDG490: Super Hub 2 AC
VMDG505: Hub 3
VMDG640: Hub 4
Sagemcom F3896LG-VMB: Hub 5

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @dave60h thanks for your post here in the Community, welcome!

Sorry to hear of your confusion here, it looks like @goslow has provided the best way to understand which Hub you have so that's much appreciated.

If you do still need any further assistance, please let me know!
Many thanks

Tom_W

Ok my hub is fine,how do I go about getting one of these adapters.I’m not ringing customer service again as I’m not been messed around again.Advise would be appreciated 

We can see you have spoken to the team since posting, were they able to arrange an adapter for you dave60h? 

If not, let me know and I will be happy to arrange this for you 🙂

Rob

No haven’t been able to arrange adapter.Does it come with extension as phone not near router,regards Dave

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@dave60h wrote:

No haven’t been able to arrange adapter.Does it come with extension as phone not near router,regards Dave

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here, when they reply to this topic) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Thankyou for your reply,got to admit struggling trying to find how to contact them to order one.Call center was absolutely terrible and can’t  find anything on there web site.If they know this is going to be a issue WHY don’t they make it simple for people like myself who struggle with the internet.Cant find anything about ordering it.Been with virgin numerous years and it’s fine until things go wrong and then it’s a nightmare.Seriously thinking of jacking them in.Had problems for years with utilisation problems and kept getting fobbed off.Customer service is terrible at Virgin